Some modern Southern Rock: Austin's Will Courtney (link)
by knutesteen (2018-10-16 14:54:17)

Are you guys listening to Ryan Bingham?
by EricCartman  (2018-10-16 16:43:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just discovered him and I am really enjoying his work.

Crazy Heart abides.
by OGerry  (2018-10-16 21:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You may want to check that movie out.

The only good thing to ever come outta Hobbs
by ShillelaghHugger  (2018-10-16 17:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New Mexico.

Like few other artists, Ryan Bingham's music projects the culture and feel of West Texas and the eastern plains of New Mexico, which I call junior varsity west Texas. I spent some time in the area in my mid 20s and have a love for west Texas and a deep disdain for eastern New Mexico.

Like many teens from the area, Ryan became a kid on the run. I was stunned to learn when I lived there how common it is for kids to jump trains or grab a ride with some weird 20 year old and head to Lubbock or Amarillo or Odessa and wander until you found your way home. Semi-homeless high school dropouts. There's nothing to do in Hobbs, or Clovis, or Tucomcari or Roswell. Texas is where they go to roam and so did Ryan, picking up both the western and Mexican flavors.

I can't sing but I like to sing along to his music so quite often I find myself singing a Bingham song to my daughter as I'm putting her down at night. She doesn't know the song is about getting high.

Be sure to check out the live Spotify album he did in 2015 at SXSW. His live stuff is great.

Check this out about Ryan Bingham on LivePlasma.
by The Flash  (2018-10-17 14:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it will interest your detailed bio of his musical heritage.

http://www.liveplasma.com/artist-Ryan%20Bingham.html

You guys playing cards?
by mr.natural  (2018-10-16 16:52:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, Bingham is good. He sounds old (that's a compliment).

He's awesome. Wonder if anybody ever wrote about him?
by mr.natural  (2018-10-16 15:37:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really like his voice.

Some guys are just ahead of the rest
by knutesteen  (2018-10-16 15:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By 5 years apparently. Coupled with the captured appearance in Studio 1A, KUTX is playing "Crazy Love" on a regular basis. Every time I hear it start up, I think, is this a DBT song I haven't heard? Are they resurrecting an Outlaws song, like "Hurry Sundown?" Good stuff, and I'll now look back via your review. Thanks.

Also - buy Tenkiller. Just buy it, you'll thank me later.
by mr.natural  (2018-10-16 17:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm so glad that Will is still up in Denton making music. This one he made in Memphis at Sam Phillips Recording, but the point stands.

I miss Centro-matic, but not as much as I would if he wasn't still putting out great stuff like this. "The Rail" is as good as anything he's ever done.

Not sure if you saw the news
by HTownND  (2018-10-16 15:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charlie Robison had to call it quits after a surgery didn't work out.

He was quite the Texas Red Dirt staple. Lately, I enjoyed his social media fight with Florida Georgia Line.

Yes, quite a shame
by knutesteen  (2018-10-16 15:54:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charlie and younger brother Bruce: What a pair of talented musicians, and in Bruce's case, songwriter of songs made hits by others. Bruce and the Mrs., Kelly Willis, are also terrific together.

Agreed on the last
by HTownND  (2018-10-16 16:14:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny story, my brother lived in the same small apartment complex as KW while in law school in Austin back in the 90s

He had no idea about her role in the Lyle Lovett/Julia Roberts marriage, always said she was extremely nice and kept to herself.