Lake Travis had risen 18' at 6 PM since midnight
by knutesteen (2018-10-16 21:36:21)

It was 108% full, as flooding rains in the Hill Country found their way down the Lower Colorado River. The Llano River, 10' at flood stage, reached 39' this morning and was forecast to reach 40' by now, its highest level since the 1930s. The Llano feeds into Lake LBJ, which then goes via dam into Lake Marble Falls, then Lake Travis. Our "Highland Lakes" are the Lower Colorado River dammed up for flood control and energy production, much like the TVA.
It's either drought or flood here in Central Texas. Right now, "there's floodin' down in Texas."

Wow - stay safe - the last really huge non-hurricane-related
by ndhouston  (2018-10-18 00:59:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

flood on the Brazos was over 100 years ago, in 1913. It occurred at a similar time of year, albeit November instead of October. That was the benchmark event against which most of the Harvey Brazos River floods were measured.

Texas rivers are notoriously drought and flood prone. That 1913 event was also the last time that the Brazos and Colorado rivers merged south of Columbus.

Stay safe down there
by HTownND  (2018-10-17 12:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember all the news reports around 2011 and 2012 wondering if Lake Travis would ever fill back up.

The locals have seen this ebb and flow before, but this one is pretty historic.

There are some intimidating images from this flooding
by someguy  (2018-10-17 11:06:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The attached link has a clip of a bridge being washed away, and a photo showing the ridiculousness of the Llano River flood.

Any flooding in the Lake Austin/Lady Bird Lake?
by TWO  (2018-10-17 10:06:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Travis goes up and down, but down stream they keep them constant level. If they have to start letting water out of Travis it's a problem downstream.

Hike and Bike Trail closed, as are all area lakes
by knutesteen  (2018-10-17 11:25:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see that other than maybe exceeding the banks a bit, Lake Austin and Town Lake should be fine, as 4 flood gates are open at Mansfield Dam from Lake Travis to Lake Austin, and an equal amount at Tom Miller Dam from Lake Austin to Town Lake (cannot adopt the "Lady Bird Lake" newcomer moniker), with flood gates also open at Longhorn Dam to let the water flow from Town Lake down the Colorado River.
While we're getting a respite from heavy rains today, it is expected to start again late tonight.
Lake Travis as of 9 AM was 126% full. It is now at 697'. Full is 681' and the top of the dam is 714'. The forecast is to reach at least 700'. This is a flood of historic proportions.

My house has a direct view of Mansfield Dam, but fortunately we are up on a bluff. As you correctly point out, it is Lake Austin and Town Lake that run the risk of continuing necessary discharge from Lake Travis.

if it keeps on raining, levee's gonna break *
by jt  (2018-10-17 09:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wanna know...have you ever seen the rain? *
by drmurray  (2018-10-17 09:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain?
by sprack  (2018-10-17 10:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

John Fogerty had a rain obsession.

Music choices by Texas natives
by OITLinebacker  (2018-10-17 08:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now it's up 23', 117 % full since midnight *
by knutesteen  (2018-10-16 23:05:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Effect on COTA? *
by FL_Irish  (2018-10-16 23:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sunday should be dry, but practice is an issue (link)
by knutesteen  (2018-10-17 11:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post