Harrison, in several ways, was the most musical...
by Kbyrnes (2018-12-10 23:55:54)
Edited on 2018-12-10 23:57:33

In reply to: Please ignore me  posted by Atticus

...of the Beatles. He had a better knowledge of music theory, at least as it relates to voice leading and chord progressions; he had the best sense of the pure sonic quality of lyrics, as even Paul recognized when he once said that George's songs sometimes existed just for the vowel sounds, e.g., "I, Me, Mine"; and the sense of his lyrics was generally more related to introspection and a search for self-understanding than the Lennon-McCartney lyrics.

All Things Must Pass has a sort of secret, which is that it marked the blossoming of Harrison's friendship with Bob Dylan. They'd met in 1964 in one of those arranged meetings of young celebrities foisted by promoters who must have thought some pop alchemy would result. Besides covering Dylan's "If Not for You," and writing "Behind That Locked Door" to Dylan, Harrison got Dylan to cooperate in sort of co-writing "I'd Have You Anytime," which is not the most famous track from that album but might be the most beautiful. The lyrics are a kind of call and response, starting with Harrison addressing Dylan and then Dylan's answer in the repeated chorus, "All I have is yours..."

Replies: