The end of owning music: How CDs and downloads died
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster) (2018-12-11 15:07:50)
Edited on 2018-12-11 15:10:39

I was at my local Savers over the weekend and I usually peruse the dusty bin of old vinyl records in the back of the store. 99% of the time the racks are filled with well-worn Mitch Miller, Herb Albert, Mantovani, Barbara Streisand and other easy listening legends of the 60s and 70s. On occasion I take a chance on some record with a wacky cover until yesterday when the sales clerk told me that the raised the price of used LPs from $1 to $4. Goodwill has followed suit.

Not sure if we are in a vinyl record bubble but Jack White is happy selling $25 vinyl LPs.
Jack White, arguably the most visible vinyl advocate in recent years, agrees: “I definitely believe the next decade is going to be streaming plus vinyl – streaming in the car and kitchen, vinyl in the living room and the den. Those will be the two formats. And I feel really good about that.”

This summer when I visited dozens of yard sales, I asked if they had any vinyl records. The two responses I received were: "You're the tenth guy why asked me that question today" or "Some guy was here at 8 am and bought my entire collection."

Used CDs are incredibly cheap right now (my local record store is selling most of them 3/$10). Many of the CD reissues of classic 60s-80s records have loads of bonus tracks, extra liner notes and have been reissued.

Replies: