True. Of course, the difference we now hear is not...
by Kbyrnes (2018-12-11 18:33:34)

In reply to: Without question.  posted by mocopdx

...inherent; the technology exists to digitally reproduce sound in far, far higher quality than what we get on even the best vinyl recordings.

The difference is largely based on choice made in the engineering. Back in the days of vinyl, "high fidelity" was a goal often met because the producers wanted to provide their audiences with a great sound experience. The best productions were traditionally in the classical repertory, but things also got much better through the 60s and into the 70s for jazz and pop music. Some of my favorite sonic memories of the late 70s and early 80s are listening to quadraphonic recordings on Columbia Records of, for example, Pierre Boulez conducting the New York Philharmonic in Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra over at the apartment of a friend who had super high-end equipment (preamp, amp, speakers, and of course turntable/stylus); listening to it this way probably just about maximized the expectations of the producers and engineers of that recording.

The producers and engineers for Spotify know that much of their music is being heard over tiny, low-to-medium quality ear buds or at best (for the most part) decent but still not super high-end speakers made by companies such as Bose (which I have here in my office, for example). Thus they match the production to the lowered expectations of most of their listeners.

Replies: