What I thought "end of owning music" was about:
by Bluntschli (2018-12-12 08:07:19)

Are there any places to buy digital content and know that you'll have it "forever"? I've seen stories recently about both Amazon and Apple removing content from individual users' accounts because they lost the rights to it. I would think simply downloading it onto an external hard drive would solve this, but a) it sort of defeats the purpose, and b) the article about Amazon indicated that the file you can download is low quality.

Get an external HDD.
by Wooderson  (2018-12-12 10:29:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you buy songs you can put the files there.

I have a cloud copy of all my music on MP3 going back to the 90’s as well as an hdd with it.

Amazon isn’t going anywhere, but better to be safe than sorry.

One cool thing though, if you buy vinyl from Amazon they throw in the MP3 for free (since you technically purchased the license to own the music).

bandcamp.com is a great site to purchase music
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2018-12-12 11:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can purchase downloadable music files in a variety of lossless and lossy formats. If you purchase a physical CD/vinyl/cassette on Bandcamp, you can also download that record as well for no extra charge.

Bandcamp is great because unlike streaming, a fair amount of money ends up in the hands of artists.

I wholly endorse this recommendation.
by voidoid  (2018-12-12 11:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most online services f*ck the artists; Bandcamp is by far the most beneficial.

Files you buy from the iTunes store are yours to own
by S---Alley2  (2018-12-12 10:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same is true with Amazon. In both cases, you need to actually download the files. They do not have any DRM on them, so they will play on any computer/player capable of playing the file type.

In Apple's case, the streaming services (Apple Music) are different (you don't own anything).

I Buy on Amazon and download then Google Music manager
by mjv8198  (2018-12-12 08:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

automatically uploads it to google music. You can store something like 50,000 song for free on google.

I don't buy on google because they hide or used to the file when you download