Need a washing machine recommendation.
by OCND (2018-12-12 11:05:09)

Our Whirlpool bit the dust last night. I'm looking for a new top load. More generally, do you prefer an agitator or impeller? I really hate the beating our clothes took with the agitator, but I've also read impellers may not clean as thoroughly.

Miele Front Load -- worth it *
by IrishOB  (2018-12-12 22:04:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Currently doing $25K remodel of house due to Whirlpool wash-
by Irish72  (2018-12-12 20:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

er. Water shut off hose had gotten plugged and it ran for an hour before I noticed water creeping into the family room. I cannot complain about Whirlpool as this is only second we've owned in 40+ years.

Avoid Samsung front loader
by Fletch  (2018-12-12 15:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they have a design defect that results in stale, odorous water pooling in the unit. They say you need to drain it every so often, but that never seemed to help much.

Avoid LG *
by PWK2  (2018-12-12 15:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a Samsung toploading washer. Never had a problem. (link)
by EricCartman  (2018-12-12 15:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same. Couldn't be more pleased with a washing machine *
by Mike McIrish  (2018-12-13 07:14:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had great results with Maytag Bravos XL.
by Stonebreaker9  (2018-12-12 11:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure they still make them, but it had a SS drum, impeller, cleaned great. If you had a ton of grass or similar debris on clothes, it would likely be left behind. Cycles were 50 minutes to an hour+, which seems standard for impeller HE washers. My parents have an LG, and it can take up to 2 hours and they have to use the extra water cycle (whatever it’s called) to get clothes clean...which kind of defeats the purpose. They hate it.