Plantar Fascial Tear
by Fletch (2018-12-12 11:17:38)

I blew my plantar fascia out playing tennis 10 days ago. I'm back to walking without a crutch or boot, but I'm curious to get a sense for the total recovery time and what treatments (PT, orthotics, etc.) has worked for folks back here.

Doc did not do an MRI, saying that regardless of whether it's partial or complete, the initial treatment is essentially the same. He has me going to PT, with a followup in six weeks.

What should I expect?

Well, once it healed my plantar fasciitis was cured! *
by mrock90  (2018-12-12 15:37:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Popped mine playing softball several years ago.
by cmhirish  (2018-12-12 13:43:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least it felt like a pop. Like you, did not have an MRI. Doc listened, examined, and prescribed PT and insoles. I think it took close to 6 weeks before I could walk at a normal pace without symptoms; running or even jogging were out of the question for a couple more months.

Get committed to that PT. Don't skimp. (Mine was similar to the link - YRMV).
The first pair of insoles I had were half-soles that didn't stay in place and were worthless. Superfeet Blue Insoles remedied that issue.

I had a relapse of sorts, although not as severe, ~14 mos after the initial incident. Wasn't using any inserts at the time. Got back on the PT, recovered, and have used the Superfeet inserts ever since. Been symptom-free for 5+ years. Good luck.

What city are you in? *
by Papa November  (2018-12-12 12:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area *
by Fletch  (2018-12-12 15:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

took me a long time to recover
by ColoNDFan  (2018-12-12 11:22:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from tearing mine, to be honest my plantar fasciitis has been a constant issue since. Orthotics were a lifesaver for me, and are to this day. The body will take it's time healing though!