That leads to my question . . .
by AlanND90 (2018-12-12 11:19:17)

In reply to: I still have my turntable, so that's a start.  posted by dbldomer7375

What are people listening to vinyl ON? I'd love to play my old records, but I don't have a turntable -- are people buying turntables as components to fit with old stereo systems from the 90's? Are they buying small record players? Something else?

Plucked a few of my components from the trash
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2018-12-12 11:48:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friend was going to throw out his 1980s Technics SLD2 direct drive turntable before offering it to me. I bought a compatible phono cartridge on ebay for $20 and connected the turntable to my 1990s Denon receiver. It's my go-to turntable and gets used almost daily.

As I mentioned below, I rescued a mint condition Technics cassette deck from the same era from the trash.

Last Christmas I gave Little Contrarian a 30 year-old Technics rack system that someone was going to toss out. A little dusting and the thing sounds fantastic in his man cave.

Yard sales can yield better bargains than searching online, although Facebook Marketplace and Letgo.com occasionally have decent components for a good price.

If you are looking to spend a little more, there are plenty of people who refurbish vintage audio gear for resale.

There are a variety of options on the market using
by voidoid  (2018-12-12 11:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

different kinds of technology. Crosley makes little suitcase-style players with tinny, built-in speakers, for example.

Most will still have RCA outputs, and many have the phono pre-amp built-in, since modern receivers tend not to have a dedicated phono input; many have USB connections for the ability to rip LPs to MP3; many are Bluetooth-capable to connect to whole-house speaker systems; I think Yamaha even makes a WiFi enabled recordp layer.