I've owned a home with well/septic for 17 years
by irish boiler96 (2018-12-13 07:51:40)

In reply to: About to put an offer on a house...a question for the board:  posted by four pillars

When I bought the home in 2001, both were inspected by way of normal home inspection process. Both passed just fine, and seller did disclose to me that the old 2" well could fail at any time. After 7 years of use, it finally failed and I replaced it with a new 4" well at a cost of about $3300 in 2008. I've had absolutely zero issue with the new well since installation, and I do have a pool and hot tub. When filling pools or hot tubs, its best to use a few hoses such that the well pump turns on and STAYS on...the part most likely to wear/fail is the start capacitor on the pump. Constant running lessens this potential for damage.
As for the septic system, I've had no trouble with that either. I have it pumped out every 3 years. Typical cost for pump out is about $280, assuming a 1000 gallon tank. These numbers are based on St. Joe County, NW of South Bend.
I've tested my water quality with an ICP spectrometer and it is super clean. In fact, one of my buddies that brews beer likes to use my water because it is so clean and does not have the chlorine found in municipal water.