All good thoughts below
by elcortez01 (2018-12-13 08:07:01)

In reply to: About to put an offer on a house...a question for the board:  posted by four pillars

Another thing I'd check into are the county/state regulations and future plans concerning septic systems. I say this as a paranoid home owner who's village is in the process of being forced into sewers at some point.

Essentially our village is one of the last places in our county exclusively on septic. The county by extension of the EPA is going to force us to sewers at some point. It's essentially a money grab by the sewer district but its creating major havoc for homeowners. I currently have an "old" septic system (tank + drywell) As it is now, if I want to get a permit for any work on my house, no matter how small the job, the county is forcing us to put in a new system to the tune of about $40k. As if that's not bad enough the threat of a new sewer system is hanging out there on an 8-10 year timeframe in which we'll face a $15k assessment for sewer + several thousand $ more for the private hookup work.

What I'm getting at is a lot of buyers move into the neighborhood with plans to remodel a bathroom or a kitchen only to later find out they need a permit and all of a sudden that small project gets another $60k tacked onto it.