New NDLS dean named.
by Rockbrig97 (2019-01-10 13:57:49)

FWIW, he was one of a number of professors and scholars
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-10 21:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who in 2017 signed a letter supporting the nomination of Judge Gorsuch. By my count, nine (9) ND law professors signed the same letter.

No, but he seems very aspirational-peer-ish
by ndtnguy  (2019-01-10 14:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's nothing in that biography that suggests he has any commitment to, or background for, the task of enhancing and pursuing NDLS's status as the source of the Catholic intellectual tradition's continuing voice in American jurisprudence, or even as the one place where a first-class legal education can be meaningfully informed by that tradition.

That's the one non-fungible element of Notre Dame Law School's mission. Everything else you can get at Texas or Vanderbilt, all while saving a ton of money on winterwear. I never saw that Newton had any clue about that, which is why my impression of her never rose above the initial thought that she was a pointlessly fungible functionary hired for solely materialist, immanentist ends based on a materialist, immanentist vision of the law school's mission.

It certainly seems that whatever else she may have accomplished (and improvements in things like IP faculty appear to have been material), Newton succeeded in ensuring that the law school leadership continued in her own image. I would very much like someone to show me that I'm wrong. But I wish you luck.

The right professors are very happy about this.
by AquinasIrish  (2019-01-10 15:05:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's enough for me, for now.

A number of ND types on Twitter
by manofdillon  (2019-01-10 14:39:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who would seeming care about ND's Catholic mission seem to be happy with the hire. Prof. Rick Garnett referred to Cole as an old friend. He's also on the BOT of a Catholic high school in California. So I wouldn't write him off without knowing more.

Rick is friends with everybody
by ndtnguy  (2019-01-10 14:53:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I jest, somewhat.

I generally trust Rick's instincts and views, though, so that's something.

And I saw that he's on the board of a Catholic high school. But that's pretty meager. And I'm not saying this guy is necessarily a dud. You would just think that if he were hired with an eye to being the overseer of the law school's unique mission, there might be something in his hiring blurb about it. That same blurb would make him sound like a great dean hire anywhere. That's more an indictment of the search process than of him, I suppose.

Rick is very happy with this
by BigEND  (2019-01-10 19:39:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cole is catholic and supposedly on the conservative side of things.

Is it nitpicking to expect the announcement to mention that
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-10 21:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's Catholic?

He once gave a very good talk on growing up in Pittsburgh
by stanford_07  (2019-01-10 14:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know him but this is an interesting read.

I enjoyed reading that -- thought it was excellent
by domer  (2019-01-10 14:55:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like the plainspoken language throughout, his tone of humility and gratitude, and his ability to convey meaning and feeling without trying to impress others with big words or his credentials.

Agreed on all counts. Excellent essay. *
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-01-10 20:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thought Dean Martin was going to be the choice *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-01-10 14:12:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disqualified because he once told
by maniactranspodriver  (2019-01-10 14:41:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

young Rudy, "Notre Dame is for rich kids, smart kids, great athletes..."

His name is familiar...
by irisharab  (2019-01-10 14:11:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the life of me, I don't know where I have heard his name before. Maybe he was a guest speaker at ND at some point.

Reading his bio, he clerked for the same Appellate Court Judge as Prof. Nicole Garnett, but he probably clerked for Judge Arnold before she did.