24 Hours in Santiago Recs
by Keough20 (2019-01-11 20:08:45)

I'm studying abroad in Santiago, Chile this next semester, and because of the way the flight schedule worked out for me, I have 24 hours between the time I land and the time I have to be back at the airport (8 A.M. Saturday to 8 A.M. Sunday) to meet up with the other students and drive to the middle of nowhere for a pre-immersion program. I'm looking for an option for a place to stay by the airport and potential things to do that day assuming I don't just sleep the entire day.

Although I'd say that my lodging would have to be near the airport itself, I'm open to food and casual activity options that are convenient to the Metro and closer to the city center or other areas. Because I'll be living in the area for four months (Las Condes), I'm definitely not trying to check any boxes of touristy things to do, but just have a relaxing 24 hours and hopefully take advantage of my extra day in the city. Any and all recs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the recommendations! *
by Keough20  (2019-01-12 19:32:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bellavista
by beattherush  (2019-01-12 08:28:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fun arts neighborhood downtown. Sit down and enjoy a Pisco sour and a large platter of meat and watch the passersby and the art.

Stay nearby. I used to recommend the Sheraton for high service but I haven't been down that way in awhile and the service has apparently gone downhill. The Singular is nearby and very nice but quite expensive. I'd either plan on heading back to the airport or grabbing a cheap hotel nearby - there's plenty in the city district, and that's what TripAdvisor is for.

Most of the national museums and whatnot are nearby. You could easily spend a day going to one or two of those plus dinner.

There's an old Pinochet prison camp, Villa Grimaldi, that is quite moving but a long cab ride and you'll need your Spanish (though there is an English audio guide I think). It's more authentic than the purpose-built Museum of Memory and Human Rights but the museum's easier to get to and more accessible.

I'd still stay by the airport with an 8 AM meet time.
by starburns  (2019-01-13 10:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check into the hotel and ditch the bags, head into town, then come back to sleep at an airport hotel. Way easier than either dragging the bags back to the airport at the crack of dawn or paying for both a hotel room and left luggage. Also makes the transport cheaper as it's easy to take the airport bus without the luggage.

The Holiday Inn at the airport there is surprisingly nice.
by starburns  (2019-01-12 04:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had an overnight layover there on the way home from a trip to Easter Island. I was surprised by how nice a hotel it was.

Celinto Catayente Towers.
by Dignan  (2019-01-12 00:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just down the street from the Estadio Olympico

One thing I forgot to add,
by Keough20  (2019-01-11 20:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone who travels internationally frequently or has been to the Santiago airport in particular, I would like to know if it would be more advisable to pay to leave my luggage at the airport for 24 hours (if that's possible there) or take it to the hotel with me and bring it back to the airport in the morning.