There's a big difference in driving in the DMV and driving
by Notra_Dahm (2019-01-12 07:43:44)

In reply to: snow is on the way to Northern VA today  posted by tenordrum75

in the Chicago/South Bend corridor. There are a lot more hills and winding roads in the DMV. They don't have the equipment or know how to consistently get the road surfaces conditioned. The weather patterns in the DC area are trickier since the DMV is on a snow line, so conditions are far from uniform depending where in the area you are driving. And there are tons of people who don't have a clue how to drive in slick conditions (or even be smart pedestrians). As soon as it starts precipitating, I suggest that you precipitate your butt to the couch and plant it firmly there.

oh, I agree overall
by tenordrum75  (2019-01-12 08:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being from WI though, the overall angst over a threat of a minimal or moderate snowfall is hilarious. Folks in my office were saying on Thursday that they would not be coming in on Monday.

my neighbors in the townhouse next to us are from the middle east. They once sent their daughter out to shovel a 20 inch snow with a cafeteria tray. I lent them one of my shovels, after staring in disbelief for a minute or so.

Having lived in Buffalo for twelve (long, terrible) years,
by Barney68  (2019-01-12 08:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I completely understand the "you must be joking" factor of folks around here. Yeah, we're south of the Mason-Dixon Line, but for crying out loud, we also have lots of storms with more than one inch of snow!

The problem is not the weather, it's the people who don't seem to learn one year to the next.

Entertaining to watch, but only if I'm not in front of their car ...