Admin Building Columbus murals to be covered.
by John88 (2019-01-20 15:18:29)
Edited on 2019-01-20 15:30:57

UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

January 20, 2019

Feast of Basil Moreau, C.S.C., founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross

Dear Members of the Notre Dame Community,

As we celebrate the feast of Fr. Basil Moreau, C.S.C., founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross, and as we prepare to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Walk the Walk Week at Notre Dame, I write to let you know of a recent decision.

The murals by Luigi Gregori that adorn the ceremonial entrance to Notre Dame’s Main Building depict the life and exploration of Christopher Columbus. Painted in 1882-84, not long after a devastating fire and reconstruction of the Main Building, they reflect the attitudes of the time and were intended as a didactic presentation, responding to cultural challenges for the school’s largely immigrant, Catholic population. In recent years, however, many have come to see the murals as at best blind to the consequences of Columbus’s voyage for the indigenous peoples who inhabited this “new” world and at worst demeaning toward them.

In recent years I have heard from students, alumni, faculty, staff, representatives of the Native American community, and others on this complex topic. I have decided, after consultation with the University’s Board of Fellows, on a course that will preserve the murals, but will not display them regularly in their current location.

Gregori painted the murals directly on to the plaster of the walls, and so any attempt to move them would damage and likely destroy the works. Since the 1990s, a brochure has been provided that explains to viewers the context of the murals’ composition and some of the historical reality of the events depicted. However, because the second-floor hall of the Main Building is a busy throughway for visitors and members of the University community, it is not well suited for a thoughtful consideration of these paintings and the context of their composition. We will, therefore, create a permanent display for high-quality, high-resolution images of the murals in a campus setting to be determined that will be conducive to such an informed and careful consideration. The murals on the walls of the Main Building will themselves be covered by woven material consistent with the décor of the space, though it will be possible to display the murals on occasion. I will establish a committee to decide on the place to display the images of the murals and the appropriate communication around the display. We will begin soon the making of covers for the murals.

The murals present us with several narratives not easily reconciled, and the tensions among them are especially perplexing for us because of Notre Dame’s distinctive history and Catholic mission. At the time they were painted, the murals were not intended to slight indigenous peoples, but to encourage another marginalized group. In the second half of the 19th century, Notre Dame’s Catholic population, largely immigrants or from families of recent immigrants, encountered significant anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant attitudes in American public life. At the same time, Columbus was hailed by Americans generally as an intrepid explorer, the “first American” and the “discoverer of the New World.” Gregori’s murals focused on the popular image of Columbus as an American hero, who was also an immigrant and a devout Catholic. The message to the Notre Dame community was that they too, though largely immigrants and Catholics, could be fully and proudly American.

For the native peoples of this “new” land, however, Columbus’s arrival was nothing short of a catastrophe. Whatever else Columbus’s arrival brought, for these peoples it led to exploitation, expropriation of land, repression of vibrant cultures, enslavement, and new diseases causing epidemics that killed millions. As Pope John Paul II said in a 1987 meeting with the Native Peoples of the Americas, “the encounter [between native and European cultures] was a harsh and painful reality for your peoples. The cultural oppression, the injustices, the disruption of your way of life and of your traditional societies must be acknowledged.” The murals’ depiction of Columbus as beneficent explorer and friend of the native peoples hides from view the darker side of this story, a side we must acknowledge.

Our goal in making this change is to respect both Gregori’s murals, understood in their historical context, and the reality and experience of Native Americans in the aftermath of Columbus’s arrival. We wish to preserve artistic works originally intended to celebrate immigrant Catholics who were marginalized at the time in society, but do so in a way that avoids unintentionally marginalizing others. The course described above, we believe, honors the University’s heritage, of which we are justly proud, and better respects the heritage of native peoples, who have known great adversity since the arrival of Europeans.

Remembering the legacy of Dr. King and asking in prayer for the intercession of Fr. Moreau, let us renew in our minds and hearts our commitment to respect the dignity of all individuals, their communities, and their cultures, with particular concern for the most vulnerable.

Respectfully,

Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.
President

University of Notre Dame

Columbus Mural
by zahm85  (2019-01-21 16:07:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was recently on campus to bury my father. I led an entourage of family to see Fr. Corby's Gettysburg statue (in front of demolishing Corby Hall) and the memorial (next to the Admin building) to the USS Maine complete with a shell from the battleship. Both are gone.
So, where did they go?

The fair catch Corby statue was moved south, closer to Corby
by ndlp  (2019-01-29 17:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

near the sidewalks that go towards the old Library/ Architecture building.

A Modest Proposal
by eddysorin  (2019-01-21 16:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jenkins went on to announce that, in place of the Columbus murals, the University has commissioned new murals, which depict the origins of the New World in a more modern, non-offensive way.

“The Columbus murals will be replaced by new ones depicting ‘Incident II’, the population of the New World 75 million years ago by Xenu, dictator of the Galactic Confederacy.”

Jenkins went on to describe separate artistic pieces that will bring to life the transport of billions of aliens to earth in a DC-8, their arrangement around active volcanoes, and their slaughter by hydrogen bomb.

“The Administration feels that these colorful, action-filled visuals – volcanoes spewing, bombs exploding, aliens perishing – will more than compensate for their lack of historical factual basis”, said Jenkins. “More importantly, Notre Dame cannot imagine any ethnic or religious group that could take offense to such a display.”

Sil is going to take action on this one *
by vivaflanner  (2019-01-21 13:37:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know what this is? I'll tell you what this is.
by Nitschke  (2019-01-21 14:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's anti eye-talian descrimination. Columbus day is a day of Italian pride.

A compromise:
by Nitschke  (2019-01-21 10:51:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the could be replaced by murals that tell stories of Kelly vanquishing of ACC and Big Ten opponents.

Fighting Irish vanquishing the Fight'n Illni and Seminoles.
by NDFanSince81  (2019-01-21 12:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you imagine the hoorah that would start?

we live in wild times, I just have to shake my head *
by ColoNDFan  (2019-01-21 09:45:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most us missed the point.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-01-21 08:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After careful thought and meditation I think I understand what is going to happen. The murals will be covered, but the good Father said they could be viewed on special occasions.

My guess is the special occasions will be home football weekends when older alumni will be allowed to purchase tickets for the exclusive, premium Main Building Tour where they will be allowed to view the murals from behind velvet rope. Audio tour headsets will be provided for a small donation.

Nothing soothes guilt like donating money.

There's a metaphor for the football team in there... *
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-21 09:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about this one?
by OGerry  (2019-01-21 00:27:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When are they going to do something about it? The settlers look Methodist.

I don't care much about Columbus
by novadamer  (2019-01-20 21:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Rev. Jenkins' logic does not hold up. He says that the fact that Columbus "discovery" was a catastrophe for the Native Americans is what necessitates reconsidering the murals. However, there is nothing unique about Columbus role in that catastrophe. If ol' Chris had knelt before the Taino peoples, renounced Catholicism and pledged allegiance to whatever gods they worshiped, nothing would have changed.
By Rev. Jenkins' logic, everyone who spread the settlement, including iconic missionaries like Father Sorin, are just as responsible.
If his point is Columbus' story has good and bad sides, I would ask who's doesn't.

Did Father Sorin enslave and mutilate indigenous people? *
by ndroman21  (2019-01-20 21:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No.He just brought Christianity/Catholicism to the New World
by ndlp  (2019-01-29 17:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is what Father Sorin helped do for the Midwest. However, for today's liberal, that is considered as bad as enslavement and mutilating the natives.
On the dark side, the Age of Discovery was difficult for the Natives. On the bright side, they received the Catholic faith. That is belittled today but was considered very important by those, like Columbus and Sorin, who had faith in our Lord. It's odd that Father Jenkins, as a Catholic, did not emphasize this, within it's historical context. Notre Dame exists today because, those with a strong faith and belief in God, decided to share the good news with others.

Maybe he did. Do you have proof otherwise? *
by pmac98  (2019-01-21 11:12:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fire away ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-01-21 15:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

always willing to see some actual evidence of these things. Until then, Columbus and his Castilian masters stand unchallenged until the 20th century.

A very good point ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-01-21 09:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which, of course, will get lost. Your thoughtful analysis below is appreciated.

Does Purdue count? *
by AlexPKeaton  (2019-01-20 22:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not the point he's making
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 22:14:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He certainly didn't suggest any questionable behavior on the part of Fr. Sorin or other missionaries. However, it's hard to contend that their mere presence didn't have some impact on the future of the natives, including the spread of possible ailments/disease and displacement. Frankly, it's hard to know what the overall impact was for each missionary, but you can't say it didn't matter.

That doesn’t equate them to Columbus.
by ndroman21  (2019-01-20 22:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who, himself, engaged in the exploitation of indigenous Americans.

The problem with the murals was clearly spelled out in Jenkins’ statement. They depict him as a benevolent hero. That is a whitewashing of history and ND is correct to not want to be a party to it.

If one accepts removing the "whitewashing of history"
by SteveM  (2019-01-20 22:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If one accepts removing the "whitewashing of history" as a desirable goal, then there is an awful lot to do, and it is almost certain that no matter who you are, there is some "whitewashed" history that you want to keep around.

I assume you don’t accept it, then?
by ndroman21  (2019-01-20 22:42:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hiw far back would you like to go back and leave uncorrected? Should we simply ignore and bury all of the harm that was done by the United States and her citizens because it makes us feel better?

I have no problem keeping such history around, but framing it in the context of what actually occurred. That’s what ND is attempting to do with this compromise. The murals are being preserved, and made available for study in the proper context, while the covering makes clear that they are not a celebration of Columbus’ actions.

Personally, I think they walked a fine line pretty well.

MLK
by SteveM  (2019-01-21 14:52:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As an example, should today's (1/21) activities focus on MLK's sexist and homophobic beliefs? I forgot where I read it this morning, but some columnist said that he certainly would have been banned from hosting the Oscars now and would probably have had students protesting if he was teaching classes today.

For me, the idea that people from the past did not exhibit modern standards of decency should be self evident. If there are people on the ND campus who do not understand that, then it suggests a far deeper problem that needs to be immediately addressed.

Thank God. I wouldn’t want Cardinal McCarrick to be...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-01-20 20:02:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...offended when he walks through the main building of his honorary alma mater.

Maybe this thread could be moved to the political board? *
by RallyingSon  (2019-01-20 19:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why? *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-20 20:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that a serious question?
by RallyingSon  (2019-01-20 22:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because that's where angry replies ranting about book burnings, Obama's honorary degree, and the Church's pedophilia scandal belong.

Some of those replies belong on the PBR
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-21 09:24:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This story doesn’t belong there.

Church scandal doesn’t belong on the PBR either quite honestly. There isn’t currently a pro Church pedophilia political party.

that narrative is not easily reconciled. *
by Johncardinalohara  (2019-01-20 20:13:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be covered now and then replaced later after the furor
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-20 18:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has died down with renderings of current Notre Dame honorary degree holders, including such figures as the most pro-abortion president in US history and a cardinal who was later suspended from public ministry by the Holy Father.

No, something historic and peaceful. Say pre-Aztec
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:41:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

priests wearing the skins of humans as they sacrificed captives to the Flayed God or photos of the archaeological remains of the 200ft tall 'towers of skulls' the Aztecs used to throw shade at their defeated enemies.

All that bucolic, harmony-with-each-other hunter gatherer stuff from before Columbus.

Good thing he's focusing on what's important *
by NDEE01  (2019-01-20 18:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he and Cupich and Bergoglio have bigger fish to fry.
by Johncardinalohara  (2019-01-20 19:54:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

weather patterns, conference agendas, memorandums, policies and procedures, protocols, etc. etc.

Also, what happened to the South Dining Hall murals
by TCIrish03  (2019-01-20 18:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the middle cafeteria section? I vaguely remember them as a kid. It looked like a Native American village extracting rubber from rubber trees, and a second one I forget. Did they survive the 1998 renovation?

I always thought it was odd that we honor Columbus
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 18:12:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

given that he never actually landed in the United States.

As for the paintings, I think this is a decent solution.

Why should we keep them if we don't want anyone to see them? *
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-20 18:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess they have historic and aesthetic value.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 18:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's possible that they are appropriate for appreciation and study, just not for decoration in that particular place.

Absolutely. I have no idea why everything has to be so
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-20 19:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

black or white on this issue. I may not entirely agree with the University’s decision, but this threads the needle of historical preservation and architectural integrity quite well. I seriously doubt that ND will be destroying these murals in the foreseeable future.

But it is 2019.
by mustangman  (2019-01-21 09:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why now? Did we just learn about Columbus? What is next? Should we apply this type of standard to everyone? If so, the people who claim to only like or support people who in their eyes are untouchable, need to get ready to accept that standard.

Again, this has been a point of debate for at least 20 years
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-21 09:54:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why now? Maybe they finally had someone suggest a workable alternative to removing them, maybe they just finally got a round to doing something - I seriously doubt that 2019 has anything to do with it. If you think this is a new issue, you’ve not been paying attention.

That is my point.
by mustangman  (2019-01-21 10:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I simply do not understand this rush to be "woke" and "enlightened" in this day. It's like the politician who for years supported one side of an issue, but has "evolved" and now supports the other side of the issue.

And I’m saying that this wasn’t a ‘rush’ decision.
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-21 10:06:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The University has acknowledged the ‘problem’ of the murals for a long time.

But it is selective.
by mustangman  (2019-01-21 11:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole movement of being "woke" is destroying everything that does not fit within a narrow point of view. The people who claim to be tolerant and open minded are not tolerant or open minded. Again, why now if they have acknowledged an issue long ago? The article mentions one person who is in favor of this, saying this is a good first step. Well, what is the next step, and what is the last step?

Aren't careful decisions supposed to be selective...
by ufl  (2019-01-21 11:51:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..that is, what would be judged appropriate for a building housing the history department might not be appropriate for a visitor center or under the dome?

I think you're trying to pigeonhole the folks who made this decision into your view of a group of people who may be rather different.

I think it was a hollow and spineless decision.
by mustangman  (2019-01-21 18:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the murals have been a topic of discussion for years, a decision should have been done long ago. It just smacks of poor leadership.

You make up your own narrative. Good for you. *
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-21 23:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s both an unstoppably broad slippery slope
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-21 14:43:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AND unfairly selective!

Yes. *
by mustangman  (2019-01-21 18:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you may have missed the conflict...
by ufl  (2019-01-22 09:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..between those notions which the captain was attempting to highlight.

I think the conundrum has to do with the fact...
by ufl  (2019-01-20 19:07:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..that they're immoveable. An oil painting could be moved to a less prominent place.

Yep. And that’s why I think the University made a decent
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-20 19:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

compromise considering the situation. And it’s hardly a knee-jerk, spur of the moment decision - I know well that it’s been debated at the Presidential level for almost 20 years. ND doesn’t act quickly very often.

Understated righteous indignation -
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-21 07:18:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and they get to keep the baby and the bathwater. They could have just covered them without the fanfare, but they wouldn't get any points that way.

It would have been preferable to just cover them..
by ufl  (2019-01-21 08:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..without an explanation? I think you're trying too hard here.

Yes, I wish that's what ND had done. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-21 08:36:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wouldn't the complaint then be that
by ufl  (2019-01-21 08:55:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the administration was being cowardly by quietly concealing the murals in the hope that nobody would notice?

Not to mention the complete lack of transparency *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-21 09:49:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There likely would have been twice the uproar. *
by ndroman21  (2019-01-21 09:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed *
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 10:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was covering them the right decision, i.e., in your opinion?
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-21 11:21:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is that slippery slope matter of what's next. Can book banning/burning be far behind?

I guess in my opinion ND should have left them available for viewing from a purely educational/historical standpoint. After all, ND is a CSC-run university founded on the tenet of education. It's not like they accompanied Spanish conquistadors on their trek across the Americas on missions of terror or anything.

Yes, covering them was correct
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They aren't destroyed (so we are a long way from burning books).

Moreover, the University has pledged that they will be available for viewing and study in a different location on campus.

This is about as far from destroying and trying to remove them entirely as we can get, while still not displaying them in the entrance to the Main Building.

What is the educational value and historic value of the mura
by fontoknow  (2019-01-21 11:26:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who is harmed by covering up the murals?

History
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-21 11:41:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something like, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

There are a lot of MAGA hats running around out there, after all.

I'm lost, aren't there plenty of places to learn about him?
by fontoknow  (2019-01-21 11:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mostly in grade school?

And at ND when this is all said and done
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The murals aren't being destroyed or removed.

In fact, they're being reproduced for display...
by ndroman21  (2019-01-21 12:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and study in a different context. Or did I read incorrectly?

PS
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 13:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one has always been interesting to me.

I'll be honest, I stopped noticing the murals long ago. They just blend into the background for me.

That's not to diminish those who view them as 1) offensive or 2) historically important.

It's just sort of like the Mona Lisa for me. You see them, and it's sort of like, that's what's causing all the fuss (and I know they are much larger than the Mona Lisa, but I just don't see why this has become a huge deal to so many within the ND community). There are so many other points of interest within the building that draw my eye and attention. That said, I think they threaded the needle very well on this one.

I don't disagree personally.
by ndroman21  (2019-01-21 13:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never put much thought into the murals since they were pointed out to me on my first visit to ND, to be honest.

That's probably natural for a suburban white kid who was taught the Columbus story that left out all of the less savory details.

It's not hard for me to imagine a different perspective for someone with Native American ancestry, though, in light of what I have learned since. I empathize (I am a bleeding-heart liberal after all).

I think ND did a good job here.

I can absolutely see
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 13:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why it's offensive.

And I think it's just because I didn't focus on it, but it was never the focal point of my eyes when going in that entrance.

I always found the mosaic on the floor more visually interesting, and then once you get to the rotunda, there is a ton of stuff to look at.

No, you are correct
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why I think this really is the best outcome.

Now, if they paint over or permanently remove the murals, that won't go over well (although it may be necessary, because I have no doubts the admin building will once again need work down the road). But I'll worry about that when it happens.

Exactly. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-20 20:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buddhas of Bamiyan
by Sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 17:59:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Were destroyed by the Taliban. We are doing the same thing with monuments all across the country.

Simply in fashion. Burning books is next.
Nothing to see here.

What is the artistic merit
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 18:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a monument to a Confederate general erected long after the war in a transparent attempt to reaffirm white supremacy and put black people in their place? Why does preserving these monuments necessarily mean leaving them in public places traditionally associated with figures deemed worthy of honor and respect?

Exactly what I thought when I first saw Armistead' monument
by Sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 18:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At Gettysburg.

It was nothing more than a political statement pointed directly at the 21st century.

Except for the story behind how Armistead died
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and who he asked for, and what had happened to the man he asked for. And what that man did after the war. And who actually put up the monument.

What's the statement? *
by ufl  (2019-01-20 18:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As the earlier poster said....
by Sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 18:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

" in a tansparent attempt to reaffirm white supremacy and put black people in their place?"

Congrats
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 19:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You found a counter-example. I guess that means you win.

The statue you cite was built in 1993. Most confederate statues were dedicated between 1890 and 1930.

That was the motivation of those who erected the monument?
by ufl  (2019-01-20 18:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A coded attempt to tell the black people of Gettysburg that they were inferior? No other sentiment could be involved?

It was sponsored, I believe, by the Freemasons
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In tribute to an incident where a mortally wounded Confederate general, asking for a man who was a close family friend (and a Union general), who had himself been grievously wounded earlier in the battle. In any event, Armistead was a Free Mason and a Union officer, also a Mason, recognized Armistead.

Its called the Friend to Friend Memorial
by sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 20:21:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not know of a Freemason who would want anything but Brotherly Love.

Both Armistead and Hancock were Freemasons.

I think there are two....
by ufl  (2019-01-20 19:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..the one you mention and one to Armistead alone.

The Free Mason one is the new one. *
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's making fun of me
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 19:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He found the least objectionable monument to a Confederate soldier (one which depicts a dying Confederate general being comforted by a Union soldier) and used it to counter my statement that these memorials were largely meant to reinforce white supremacy. The statue he references, which is not even strictly a Confederate memorial, was built in 1993 whereas the majority of the statues that have garnered controversy, like Silent Sam, where built between 1890 and 1930.

Actually no
by sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 20:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While I am a Freemason and have seen the Friend to Friend Monument, I was first thinking of the open scroll near the Angle with this inscription:

Brigadier General
Lewis A. Armistead, C.S.A.
fell here
July 3, 1863

It was erected in 1887.

Now I'm embarassed *
by ufl  (2019-01-20 19:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good post. Why wouldn't burning books be next (as you say)? *
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-20 18:12:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Correct me if I'm wrong
by 105Marquette  (2019-01-20 17:54:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't the land ND currently sits owned originally by the Potawatomi, and ceded to the US in the Treaty of St. Joseph?

If so, there's something that rings a bit hollow to this statement when it laments how Columbus's arrival led to the mistreatment of Native Americans when ND eventually benefitted from that mistreatment.

Next up: Banning K of C from campus. *
by 84david  (2019-01-20 17:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of snowflakes falling in south bend the past few days..
by Cdb9396  (2019-01-20 17:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anything is possible

Thank goodness all the real problems have been solved
by Cdb9396  (2019-01-20 17:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So the we can now focus on the absurd.

Lots of work to do at ND and elsewhere....
by Marine Domer  (2019-01-20 17:05:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let’s remove any symbol of America anywhere. Hell, the very name America is offensive in suggesting Amerigo Vespucci “discovered” the “New World.” And it wasn’t just Columbus who devastated the native populations. And we were the first country to use a nuclear weapon.

Then again, we should also remove any murals/symbols/names of buildings, etc., celebrating any Native American tribe that committed atrocities against other tribes to build and expand their cultures. That would, of course, be most of them.

We should immediately work on removing anything that celebrates Chinese culture. Lord knows how much of their success was built around war and destruction of other cultures, to say nothing of their policies that have promoted abortion, hostility to religion, etc.

Bottom line, removing a mural celebrating the killing of natives is one thing. Removing references to Columbus because some people were hurt by his accomplishments opens up a big can of worms.

5 stars out of 5 (*****) *
by eddysorin  (2019-01-21 10:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chinese invented gunpowder don't forget. *
by usmcirish  (2019-01-20 23:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jenkins said that ND should remove “any symbol of America”?
by arch_moore  (2019-01-20 20:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you worried that he will lower the flag on South quad?

Give me a break.

You are overreacting

Perhaps you could read what I wrote....
by Marine Domer  (2019-01-20 20:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you don’t understand what I wrote, which you obviously don’t, perhaps ask a question rather than just post “oh boy” and then your own misinterpretation. I was addressing the rationale used by Jenkins. Read it, and then reread my post.

I read it very carefuly. I think you can do better. *
by arch_moore  (2019-01-20 21:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh brother *
by arch_moore  (2019-01-20 17:36:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An even stronger response the second time. *
by Marine Domer  (2019-01-20 17:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's always fair game to pick on the dagos *
by jt  (2019-01-20 17:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having your cake and eating it too.
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-20 16:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"It will be possible to display the murals on occasion."

If the murals are wrong, they should be destroyed, no?

Halving* *
by enduff  (2019-01-20 21:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What? *
by TAR  (2019-01-20 23:01:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huffing *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-20 23:31:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"on occasion". Next showing is likely December 31, 2074. *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 17:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably somewhere in the tunnels. *
by 21TAS  (2019-01-20 17:04:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Molesting boys = ok. Historical symbols = bad. *
by irish2x  (2019-01-20 16:51:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually ND and the Church prefer to cover up both *
by Raoul  (2019-01-20 20:48:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good decision. Good statement. Except that it lacks
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-20 16:25:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a wink and a nod to Parks and Rec. But I like the idea of high-quality reproduction in a place that welcomes discussion of tricky or ugly topics. Much better than a knee jerk safe space type response.

The slippery slope arguments below are preposterous.

I'm hoping the Pawnee murals are what covers them. *
by Tommy Baseball  (2019-01-20 17:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Trial of Chief Wamapo is a classic. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-20 17:57:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wtf, Is Kermit the frog now offensive? *
by discNDav  (2019-01-20 16:15:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Today the murals. Tommorrow the Dome.
by 21TAS  (2019-01-20 16:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Won't be long before we start erasing those aspects of History which are offensive to .... well, anyone who wants to take offense.

How long before someone somewhere decides to be offended by public displays of Catholicism and demands action. No more Mary on the Dome?

How long before Father Sorin is a target for having planted this university smack dab in the middle of native american indigenous territory. Darn missionaries. Messing up with local indigenous minds and culture. No more University of .... what?

How long before someone gets tired of the "Fighting Irish" meme and decides it is offensive.

This is political correctness gone totally over the top.

I am disgusted with this decision.

It does fit nicely with Confronting Whiteness at Notre Dame
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-20 15:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sent an email to the Sori. Society contact saying I thought a less incendiary title would have been better. He said he would pass it on to the professors doing the presentation. I am sure they will ignore it.

You can’t understand history without understanding the context. The murals are beautiful art that depicts 19th century view of Columbus.

People of European decent who are upset about what their ancestors did 400 or 500 years ago should go back to Europe.

We got where we are today by what our ancestors did. Some was good and some was bad. On the whole the US has had a very good effect on the world.

Similar defenses are used to keep southern generals
by fontoknow  (2019-01-20 16:36:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On pedestals. We don't need to be confronted in our day to day life by Columbus to learn about his contributions to the development of America, warts and all.

Most of those southern generals were far superior to the
by carroll12  (2019-01-20 20:27:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Northern ones and managed to hold off a materially overwhelming northern invasion for four years.

They were also traitors.
by BeijingIrish  (2019-01-21 10:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have been hanged.

This! *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-01-21 23:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they fought for a despicable cause. Those statues were
by NJIrish04  (2019-01-21 10:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

also typically erected at a time when the white population was orchestrating a resistance to civil rights progress for African Americans. But yeah, let's honor the Lost Cause. It is amusing that people still defend this ignorant shit in 2019...

Is Columbus really "confronting" anyone?
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 16:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone in another century painted his likeness and story on a significant building wall. Somehow 100+ years later young children need to be sheltered from it, so their lives are not somehow ruined. We can only talk about it if its hidden. We can't "confront" our history. Yet, the same guy who puts his signature on this decision told us all we had to have an active dialogue and listen to those who believe in abortion rights, and we had to consider their opinions, and let them be seen/heard on campus.

I see a disconnect here.

Let's take your position
by fontoknow  (2019-01-20 17:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Columbus isn't confronting anyone...it's just decorations in the most iconic building on campus. So Fr. John decided to redecorate. It's an aesthetic choice then.

Fine. I can live with that outcome too.

You're trying to deflect
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 18:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That completely changes the topic at hand. That doesn't settle anything. That hides from the story. You used the word confront. Read the definition of the word. It implies controversy. Columbus is not being controversial. He neither asked to be painted nor discussed. Yet, hiding him is a sad attempt to hide history, instead of deal with it. Why did we invite Obama to campus and then "dialogue" on his abortion stance? Wasn't that because ND is a place for ideas and discussion? So, why not use the mural to discuss? Why run and hide?

What ideas do the Columbus murals present
by fontoknow  (2019-01-20 18:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That can't be presented elsewhere?

The murals are a glorification of Columbus. They do in fact confronted anyone visiting the second floor of the main building. They sure as shit arent passive.

I think that’s a bit much
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 09:34:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree 100% with the decision by ND here, but I don’t think they confront people that much.

I walked in and out of there plenty of times. Sometimes I noticed them, most of the time I didn’t.

I don’t think they are that in your face.

Wish he was this proactive with the church sex abuse issues
by vermin05  (2019-01-20 15:48:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t have a problem with this, but it still feels disingenuous while we have child molesters with honorary degrees.

Not sure how proactive he's been about this.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 16:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hasn't the mural issue been brewing for years?

At least twenty. *
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-20 18:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never heard about it once while on campus
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-01-23 06:36:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I dare say it was (and should still be) way down the list of issues to address.

I have one thing to say about this
by Hipster  (2019-01-20 15:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Luigi Gregori doesn't make them money. He should have licensed his artwork with Fathead like this beauty. They're quick to jump down any old tailgate cornhole of political correctness as long as it doesn't upset their revenue streams, eh?

When will they cover the Word of Life mural?
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 15:33:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then we'll know they're truly "woke".

Another 30 years of this crap and He’ll cover Himself. *
by John88  (2019-01-20 15:35:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fairly persuasive.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 15:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What is the reasoned counterargument?

I'm not saying there isn't one. I just cannot think of any.

Because it's visually attractive
by AlexPKeaton  (2019-01-20 17:44:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And those whose minds are unable to differentiate between the morals of the 1400s and our morals today are not people the University should be catering to.

That's certainly pithy.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 18:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But isn't it more a practice of today's morals, rather than catering to the minds that are unable to differentiate between today's morals and those of the 1400s?

Is taking offense at something in itself a moral judgement?
by AlexPKeaton  (2019-01-20 18:42:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is it an expression of one's personal preferences or politics?

Certainly every reasonable person can agree that Columbus's treatment of the native population was amoral using today's standards. But not every reasonable person would choose to be offended by the painting.

That's a fair enough question. *
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 22:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fr. Jenkins: “Difference must be acknowledged, and...."
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 15:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in some cases even cherished".

Of course, that was in defense of bringing a pro-abortion President to receive an honorary degree at commencement.

I wonder why only certain "differences" need to be acknowledged and cherished in plain view of the entire world while others need to be hidden from public view as dialogue obviously cannot be facilitated in that regard.

It's odd isn't it. Rampant disease and abortion both cause mass deaths in the New World, but only one deserves respectful understanding and dialogue.

I'm not exactly clear.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 16:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the defense of leaving the murals there? That there is a difference of opinion as to whether they lack sensitivity to the consequences of Columbus' actions and legacy?

I had no intention of making this about Jenkins, but rather this particular decision.

Are they regarded as significant art or are they tradition?
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-20 16:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not know how art historians regard them.

If they are significant art, I see the argument for their display. Particularly as the message says they cannot be relocated.

If they are just old and a tradition, I don’t mind covering them.

Personally, I couldn’t pick them out of a lineup. But I have no eye for art.

They’re not particularly noteable from an art historical
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-20 19:18:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perspective. I personally think that they’re fairly well done for the genre (essenially late 19th century American Catholic ecclesiastical art), but there’s not a lot of historical significance to them.

I can go either way with the University’s decision.

I've heard they're supposed to be uncovered...
by ufl  (2019-01-20 17:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..when Florida State visits Notre Dame stadium.

It says they'll be covered, but optionally displayable.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 16:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND appears to be preserving their value as art, including viewability within the proper context, while removing the traditional aspect of being casually viewable on a walk through that Admin building.

Exploitation and new diseases
by akarl  (2019-01-20 15:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was this supposed to be a joint announcement regarding Theodore McCarrick's degree?

I wish Atticus were still here.