I'm not exactly clear.
by doolinbanjos (2019-01-20 16:03:59)

In reply to: Fr. Jenkins: “Difference must be acknowledged, and...."  posted by ndgotrobbedin97

What's the defense of leaving the murals there? That there is a difference of opinion as to whether they lack sensitivity to the consequences of Columbus' actions and legacy?

I had no intention of making this about Jenkins, but rather this particular decision.

Are they regarded as significant art or are they tradition?
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-20 16:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not know how art historians regard them.

If they are significant art, I see the argument for their display. Particularly as the message says they cannot be relocated.

If they are just old and a tradition, I don’t mind covering them.

Personally, I couldn’t pick them out of a lineup. But I have no eye for art.

They’re not particularly noteable from an art historical
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-20 19:18:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perspective. I personally think that they’re fairly well done for the genre (essenially late 19th century American Catholic ecclesiastical art), but there’s not a lot of historical significance to them.

I can go either way with the University’s decision.

I've heard they're supposed to be uncovered...
by ufl  (2019-01-20 17:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..when Florida State visits Notre Dame stadium.

It says they'll be covered, but optionally displayable.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-01-20 16:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND appears to be preserving their value as art, including viewability within the proper context, while removing the traditional aspect of being casually viewable on a walk through that Admin building.