Is Columbus really "confronting" anyone?
by ndgotrobbedin97 (2019-01-20 16:59:09)
Edited on 2019-01-20 17:16:06

In reply to: Similar defenses are used to keep southern generals  posted by fontoknow

Someone in another century painted his likeness and story on a significant building wall. Somehow 100+ years later young children need to be sheltered from it, so their lives are not somehow ruined. We can only talk about it if its hidden. We can't "confront" our history. Yet, the same guy who puts his signature on this decision told us all we had to have an active dialogue and listen to those who believe in abortion rights, and we had to consider their opinions, and let them be seen/heard on campus.

I see a disconnect here.

Let's take your position
by fontoknow  (2019-01-20 17:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Columbus isn't confronting anyone...it's just decorations in the most iconic building on campus. So Fr. John decided to redecorate. It's an aesthetic choice then.

Fine. I can live with that outcome too.

You're trying to deflect
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 18:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That completely changes the topic at hand. That doesn't settle anything. That hides from the story. You used the word confront. Read the definition of the word. It implies controversy. Columbus is not being controversial. He neither asked to be painted nor discussed. Yet, hiding him is a sad attempt to hide history, instead of deal with it. Why did we invite Obama to campus and then "dialogue" on his abortion stance? Wasn't that because ND is a place for ideas and discussion? So, why not use the mural to discuss? Why run and hide?

What ideas do the Columbus murals present
by fontoknow  (2019-01-20 18:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That can't be presented elsewhere?

The murals are a glorification of Columbus. They do in fact confronted anyone visiting the second floor of the main building. They sure as shit arent passive.

I think that’s a bit much
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 09:34:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree 100% with the decision by ND here, but I don’t think they confront people that much.

I walked in and out of there plenty of times. Sometimes I noticed them, most of the time I didn’t.

I don’t think they are that in your face.