As the earlier poster said....
by Sec21atlanta (2019-01-20 18:37:37)

In reply to: What's the statement? *  posted by ufl

" in a tansparent attempt to reaffirm white supremacy and put black people in their place?"

Congrats
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 19:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You found a counter-example. I guess that means you win.

The statue you cite was built in 1993. Most confederate statues were dedicated between 1890 and 1930.

That was the motivation of those who erected the monument?
by ufl  (2019-01-20 18:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A coded attempt to tell the black people of Gettysburg that they were inferior? No other sentiment could be involved?

It was sponsored, I believe, by the Freemasons
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In tribute to an incident where a mortally wounded Confederate general, asking for a man who was a close family friend (and a Union general), who had himself been grievously wounded earlier in the battle. In any event, Armistead was a Free Mason and a Union officer, also a Mason, recognized Armistead.

Its called the Friend to Friend Memorial
by sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 20:21:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not know of a Freemason who would want anything but Brotherly Love.

Both Armistead and Hancock were Freemasons.

I think there are two....
by ufl  (2019-01-20 19:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..the one you mention and one to Armistead alone.

The Free Mason one is the new one. *
by 88_92WSND  (2019-01-20 19:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's making fun of me
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-20 19:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He found the least objectionable monument to a Confederate soldier (one which depicts a dying Confederate general being comforted by a Union soldier) and used it to counter my statement that these memorials were largely meant to reinforce white supremacy. The statue he references, which is not even strictly a Confederate memorial, was built in 1993 whereas the majority of the statues that have garnered controversy, like Silent Sam, where built between 1890 and 1930.

Actually no
by sec21atlanta  (2019-01-20 20:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While I am a Freemason and have seen the Friend to Friend Monument, I was first thinking of the open scroll near the Angle with this inscription:

Brigadier General
Lewis A. Armistead, C.S.A.
fell here
July 3, 1863

It was erected in 1887.

Now I'm embarassed *
by ufl  (2019-01-20 19:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post