I know Romo was a recent NFL qb
by Nyirish08 (2019-01-20 22:09:12)

But his ability to predict playcalls is impressive

I thought he would be another Cowboys stooge in the booth
by Steelhop  (2019-01-21 11:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, he is easily the best analyst out there. I could listen all day to him analyze plays from formations and player personnel. It really shows when you listen to Troy, who I can't stand and slowly morphing into Madden.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 11:39:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was prepared to dislike him, and feel like he shouldn't be calling a Super Bowl as he had no clue what it took to get there as a professional, but alas, removing my Giant fan glasses, he's damn good at what he does.

PS - I didn't watch him yesterday, so I have no idea how his performance went. I just made those comments based on games I've heard him call.

They asked him to tone it down some.
by TheMeanFarmer  (2019-01-21 10:54:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rumor as I heard it:

Earlier in the season he was predicting (correctly) so many things that NFL though he was giving away the 'secret sauce'. The network thought he was talking over the viewers heads as we are mindless simpletons.

He has been the best thing to happen to watching NFL football since HDTV.

I have to wonder if he will get into coaching after this
by smcchick  (2019-01-21 10:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

season. It's obvious he knows what he is talking about. I realize coaching it is different than calling what you see on tv. I would hate to lose him as a broadcaster because he really has made the game more interesting to watch.

One job is stress-free and the other is extremely stressful.
by EricCartman  (2019-01-21 10:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know which one I would choose.

It all depends on your passion to win the Super Bowl.
by smcchick  (2019-01-21 10:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He never got one, so maybe it would be something that would draw him to coaching. And some people miss playing so much that it's hard for them to just watch from the booth. It's all based on your personality I guess.

It seems like he would be good at it, but what the hell do I know?

That's a fair point.
by EricCartman  (2019-01-21 11:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everyone loves new jewelry.

Especially over sized rings for punching power *
by smcchick  (2019-01-21 13:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tough to imagine a bigger upgrade than going from Simms
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-21 09:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to Romo. Too bad CBS won't learn from their success and realize there's no reason to keep running Nantz out there. A play by play guy with some personality would make Romo even better.

He just cant shut up though. *
by 84david  (2019-01-21 08:25:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, but I tolerate it because he’s so often spot on.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-21 20:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He can definitely get a little too caught up in the excitement at times, but I never doubt that when it comes to scheme and strategy, he knows exactly what he’s talking about.

I finally had to use the nuclear option: Mute Button STFU *
by BacTien  (2019-01-21 09:07:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I regard it as the default option *
by ufl  (2019-01-21 10:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did the same. Concur.... *
by harv79pangborn  (2019-01-21 09:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, when you make a prediction for EVERY play, you're
by pmcdnd96  (2019-01-21 08:18:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bound to get some right. His energy is fun and he often adds a lot of insight, but I think he also says a lot of dumb stuff too...because he's talking the whole time

I like him
by Jvan  (2019-01-20 23:27:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He combines football expertise with unabashed enthusiasm for the game. He will learn to be more measured in his delivery, but he has a talent for breaking down complex situations into understandable sound bytes for the average fan.

His enthusiasm seems genuine too
by garbageplate  (2019-01-21 10:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unlike the forced screaming of Gus Johnson, who tries to overshadow the game.

Agree. He’s the best. *
by Centralpa  (2019-01-21 09:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was cold, but I swear he said Mahomes threw a "shart"
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-20 23:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....on the one TD throw. I laughed.

My daughter and I heard that also. *
by Hometown fan  (2019-01-21 07:15:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I said my piece on Cartier. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-20 22:45:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's the Steve Stone of football. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-20 22:36:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that is high praise. *
by domerfromkansas  (2019-01-20 23:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coming from me...
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-21 00:12:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's the highest praise I can imagine. I love Stoney.

Agreed. *
by 105Marquette  (2019-01-20 22:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is tremendous with his analysis and enthusiasm. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-20 22:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have not heard a better job since Kyle Rote in the 60s
by knutesteen  (2019-01-20 22:20:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once he improves his delivery, toning down the enthusiasm just a tad, he will have a long career in the booth. It's like he's watching film and calling the plays based on formation, personnel and situation.
Maybe the Cowboys should hire him as their new OC.

He reminds me of a young Al DeRogatis...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-21 21:03:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only with a personality.

Sorry, but I couldn't stand Al DeRogatis.
by AraStopTheSnow  (2019-01-22 17:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always felt he was the antithesis of what a good football analyst should be. He tried to make even simple ideas sound technical, with the goal that you couldn't understand them but would say, "Gee whiz, that Al DeRogatis shore nuff is smarter than I am."

The other guy that immediately comes to my mind in the Color Analyst Hall of Shame is Paul Maguire. I'll never forgive or forget when the Irish were playing Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl in a tense 0-0 game. Mirer threw Bettis a screen pass and the defender hit Bettis on the heel, causing him to fall on his face and fail to reach the pass that would have been completed for a long gainer or a touchdown. Just as the replay clearly shows the guy hitting Jerome's heel on the replay, Maguire is intoning for emphasis, "He never even TOUCHED Jerome Bettis."

Happy ending: Lou called another screen on the next play against another sell-out blitz, and Lake Dawson took it to the house.

The enthusiasm is the best part!
by shea  (2019-01-21 07:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've watched maybe three NFL games this year and I really enjoyed this one exclusively because of how infectious Romo is. (The result, on the other hand...)

The result is the best part! *
by shawno3  (2019-01-21 07:30:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone should make him a coordinator at the least. *
by cmcirish  (2019-01-20 22:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I may be in the minority
by Lloyd Braun  (2019-01-20 22:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I really enjoy listening to him. Your observation is correct.

I think he's well liked from what I see and hear. *
by irishsundevil  (2019-01-21 09:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post