Was covering them the right decision, i.e., in your opinion?
by SWPaDem (2019-01-21 11:21:15)
Edited on 2019-01-21 11:24:08

In reply to: Agreed *  posted by HTownND

There is that slippery slope matter of what's next. Can book banning/burning be far behind?

I guess in my opinion ND should have left them available for viewing from a purely educational/historical standpoint. After all, ND is a CSC-run university founded on the tenet of education. It's not like they accompanied Spanish conquistadors on their trek across the Americas on missions of terror or anything.

Yes, covering them was correct
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They aren't destroyed (so we are a long way from burning books).

Moreover, the University has pledged that they will be available for viewing and study in a different location on campus.

This is about as far from destroying and trying to remove them entirely as we can get, while still not displaying them in the entrance to the Main Building.

What is the educational value and historic value of the mura
by fontoknow  (2019-01-21 11:26:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who is harmed by covering up the murals?

History
by SWPaDem  (2019-01-21 11:41:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something like, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

There are a lot of MAGA hats running around out there, after all.

I'm lost, aren't there plenty of places to learn about him?
by fontoknow  (2019-01-21 11:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mostly in grade school?

And at ND when this is all said and done
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The murals aren't being destroyed or removed.

In fact, they're being reproduced for display...
by ndroman21  (2019-01-21 12:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and study in a different context. Or did I read incorrectly?

PS
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 13:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one has always been interesting to me.

I'll be honest, I stopped noticing the murals long ago. They just blend into the background for me.

That's not to diminish those who view them as 1) offensive or 2) historically important.

It's just sort of like the Mona Lisa for me. You see them, and it's sort of like, that's what's causing all the fuss (and I know they are much larger than the Mona Lisa, but I just don't see why this has become a huge deal to so many within the ND community). There are so many other points of interest within the building that draw my eye and attention. That said, I think they threaded the needle very well on this one.

I don't disagree personally.
by ndroman21  (2019-01-21 13:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never put much thought into the murals since they were pointed out to me on my first visit to ND, to be honest.

That's probably natural for a suburban white kid who was taught the Columbus story that left out all of the less savory details.

It's not hard for me to imagine a different perspective for someone with Native American ancestry, though, in light of what I have learned since. I empathize (I am a bleeding-heart liberal after all).

I think ND did a good job here.

I can absolutely see
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 13:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why it's offensive.

And I think it's just because I didn't focus on it, but it was never the focal point of my eyes when going in that entrance.

I always found the mosaic on the floor more visually interesting, and then once you get to the rotunda, there is a ton of stuff to look at.

No, you are correct
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why I think this really is the best outcome.

Now, if they paint over or permanently remove the murals, that won't go over well (although it may be necessary, because I have no doubts the admin building will once again need work down the road). But I'll worry about that when it happens.