Anyone got fear of flying tips
by orangejubilee (2019-01-21 14:56:46)

For my wonderful wife, who wants to get over this. She has flown before but hates it and hates the time leading up to it. Drinking seems to help a little as does medication but she wants to get over this or least to a place where she does not dread it as much beforehand.

I'm not much of a psychologist so all I do is try to explain what the plane is doing etc. when I am there but that doesn't seem to help much. Plus she needs to fly without me occasionally. I did look for something at the Indy airport but didn't find much. Just really want to help but totally clueless how to help, any and all suggestions welcome.

Check this link
by DavidAddison  (2019-01-22 12:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CBT etc. This article is a good overall summary.

clean the pipes before every flight. *
by 84david  (2019-01-22 11:57:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Send her up with a stunt pilot. Cured my brother. *
by Irish72  (2019-01-21 21:00:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suggest that she fly only Qantas. * *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-21 20:43:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zipless (word that rhymes with buck). *
by 528 Flanner  (2019-01-21 18:46:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to love flying, then I studied engineering.
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-21 18:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't get good grades but it engendered a fear of flying. Acceptable crack sizes!? Factor of safety my ass!

Watch Air Disasters
by captspaulding  (2019-01-21 18:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You will find out almost 80% of air crashes are survivable, although you may get a little singed

Wayne Gretzky was afraid of flying
by irishrock  (2019-01-21 18:14:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While in Canada he was allowed to sit in the cockpit because having the pilot’s view made him feel easier

It was not allowed in the US so he always had a window seat and spent the flight looking outside

I used to be terrified of flying
by irishski  (2019-01-21 17:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I couldn't sleep leading up to the flight, would be too nervous to eat etc... I loved to go places but the stress of going was almost too much. The biggest thing that helped me on my flying fear was learning everything I could about flying and planes in general. YouTube was a great resource as to watching videos inside planes especially landing or takeoff. For me, takeoff was the worst by far, so I watched a ton of takeoff videos. Watching so much helped me become used to everything to expect. Its to the point where I actually enjoy flying and look forward to it. Another thing I had to deal with is sometimes the stress of travel in general can be added to the flying fear. Avoiding the extra stressors helped me deal with the flying stress. I also think it really helps she wants to get over it. It is a decision and there is nothing anyone can do but her to make the change.

Have her go to a local airport and take a flying lesson ...
by Barney68  (2019-01-21 16:54:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or two. A little ground school on how the bloody things stay up there.

It will either help or she'll never get in one again.

Not so much fear, but boy do my arms get tired!
by ArasEra  (2019-01-21 16:19:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I crack myself up sometimes.

My wife used to be pretty afraid of flying.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-21 16:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But then her boss started taking her on quarterly trips to Orlando for some sort of conference (never really quite gotten the exact details). And now she seems to really look forward to flying. Your post made me stop and think about it for the first time and it's been a few years. Our daughter's almost three and I wanna say the first trip was about a year before that give or take. So three and half, fourish years? Wow.

So maybe just getting into a good rhythm is all it takes.

After that first visit to the cockpit her nerves were eased? *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-21 16:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does she say her trips are the most magical place on earth? *
by ArasEra  (2019-01-21 16:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*most magical place on earth *
by Tommy Baseball  (2019-01-21 19:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, edited. *
by ArasEra  (2019-01-21 21:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I honestly misread that as hips.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-21 17:59:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which still completed the joke.

I think you might end up in the Not-Good Place. I’ll save
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-21 16:18:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you a seat.

Excellent.

Bad News: Every word in my post is true.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-21 18:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Curveball: Her boss is a she.

I know this is woke 2019 NDN, but inquiring minds... *
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-21 18:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My mind inquired once.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-21 20:18:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was bluntly told not to inquire again.

Stop lying
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-21 20:45:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your mind inquired a hell of a lot more than once

Your mouth might have only made that error once

That’s far more accurate. *
by potatohouse  (2019-01-22 07:19:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard people say that the app Headspace helped them
by akarl  (2019-01-21 15:51:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think I read that virgin airlines has it on their flights.

Don't fly *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-21 15:40:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hypnotherapy. *
by Papa November  (2019-01-21 15:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alcohol is excellent, but like you said there comes
by smcchick  (2019-01-21 15:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a point where you want to just get over it. Being really tired helps too because you get to the point where you are too tired to care.

If the popping of her ears drives her crazy, tell her to chew gum or buy the ear plugs called earplanes.

Bring an Ipad or whatever tablet she has, predownloaded with things to watch or read. Watching a movie is good for distracting yourself.

I know that some people swear by meditation, it never seems to work for me. A lot of people use it to get to sleep or calm themselves in stressful circumstances.

tell her driving to the airport is more dangerous, it's true *
by discNDav  (2019-01-21 15:33:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mary Jane on line one. But...Mrs. BT hates flying. She
by BacTien  (2019-01-21 15:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had to take numerous trips for work years back. She would buy two novels and get totally engrossed in them (one going, one coming back.)

If it's claustrophobia this won't help but I'm always
by ndgenius  (2019-01-21 15:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comforted by the thought that the pilots aren't doing this to crash the plane and they've been through thousands and thousands of flights either through real life or the simulator.

I don't know if it would work but one thing that makes me comfortable on jets is the fact that I've flown in small 4/6 seat prop planes. I took a flying class in high school to earn extra credit but it was a really good experience and really lets you feel like you're flying instead of feeling like you're trapped in a tube helpless. This could have the opposite effect you're looking for but it definitely helps me during turbulent times.

I have also heard others say to equate bumps in the air to potholes or bumps on the road. Also, up in the air you don't have to worry about some dipshit next to you texting and causing accidents.

I still have it, but have gotten better
by baerga  (2019-01-21 15:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All sorts of crazy shit goes through my mind on a plane - engine is going to fall off, wing will break, pilot is suicidal, bomb in a suitcase.

What has helped me a little bit, in addition to 3-4 beers before takeoff, is looking at a site like flightaware.com, and seeing how many planes are in the air at all times, especially in the northeast US. And then I multiply that by some multiple to consider planes all over the world. And then I compare it to how many car accidents I see on the way to the airport.

Nausea on the descent is my big issue.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-21 17:29:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't eat for hours before flying. I have a landlubber's stomach.

A few things that have helped me
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-01-21 15:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have her look into SOAR (linked) or another online fear of flying class, which takes less of a time commitment than the ones offered by some airlines. Another good source is Patrick Smith’s book and blog, Ask the Pilot. These helped me tremendously to understand the physics and mechanics of flying, as well as understanding what happens during various parts of the flight and what sounds mean. The SOAR course has good mental exercises for dealing with things such as turbulence; they suggest is saying a mantra to yourself during the bumps “built like a battleship,” which planes certainly are, or singing “Whole Lotta Shakin’” in your head. They also suggest saying hi to the pilots and even mentioning one’s nervousness (on a long repair in Cincy a pilot said to me, on my wondering if the plane was ok, said “if it’s not ready to go, we’re not going.” That was reassuring, and it was a fine flight.)

Frankly, the best cure is flying more often. When I was younger and flew very infrequently, my fears tended to grow proportionately. After a period at work and in my personal life that required a significant amount of flying, I found myself getting increasingly used to it. I still get a little nervous, but that seemed to help more than anything. I also realized that some of my fear had to do more with claustrophobia, and sitting next to a window helps alleviate that feeling.

PS Having an iPad or something else that requires concentration is also very helpful. Having it to use in flight is great, and there are good apps devoted to things like turbulence and fear of flying.

In my more aviophobic days
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-01-21 15:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was sitting at the gate in Cincinnati waiting for our flight to depart. Across from me was a woman who in dress and voice appeared to be from the Caribbean. While we were waiting, a bird that have been fluttering around in the skylights flew down and landed at my feet. The woman stared straight at me and said sternly, “That means death!” You can imagine how I took that getting on a plane.

Fortunately, after we boarded, I related this exchange to the young woman sitting next to me. She explained that in some cultures a bird inside the house is an omen of death. She was wonderful and reassuring, and the conversation took my mind off any fear I had. And it was a perfect flight.

Would more space help?
by Bruno95  (2019-01-21 15:06:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have miles from work and always upgrade my wife if I can. Her discomfort with flying is mainly an offshoot of claustrophobia.

Even if it’s the whole family, I’ll send her up front. If that isn’t possible, she drinks a lot. Actually, the drinking happens either way.

From what I've read of your posts, she also drinks a lot....
by Marine Domer  (2019-01-21 15:26:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when the two of you are alone at home. Have you considered her fear of flying, apparently relieved in part by sitting in another section, may have to do with being in close quarters with you? Perhaps one too many uncomfortable inquiries about the Mile High Club?

I'm not a great flyer...
by Montroy28  (2019-01-21 15:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I fly a ton for work.

If you fly enough, you just get used to it (for better or for worse). I usually just default to "these things just don't fall out of the sky anymore." And it's true - it's never been so safe to fly.

I also make sure I have enough distractions. I bring a fully-charged tablet if the plane has wifi and just watch a movie. I also have a couple of e-books available as well, in case they don't. I also have a puzzle magazine of some sort as well as a book.

Sudoku is my friend *
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-01-21 15:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Talk her through it in a calm manner. (link)
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-21 15:02:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought you were going to post this.
by Montroy28  (2019-01-21 15:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link

Is she afraid of flying, or claustrophobic? *
by o2v4nd  (2019-01-21 15:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could use this as well *
by El Kabong  (2019-01-21 14:58:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You shouldn't be afraid of flying,
by akaRonMexico  (2019-01-21 15:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you should be afraid of crashing! Going 600 miles an hour is nothing, it's the sudden stop when you hit the ground/mountain/water that is the problem.

Hope this helps!

Here’s one they just made up “near miss”.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-21 15:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When two planes almost collide they call it a “near miss”. It’s a “near hit”!

RIP George