Oscar Nominations
by rutfilthygers (2019-01-22 09:24:25)

Some major surprises in the Oscar nominations announced this morning. Bradley Cooper was left out of the Best Director category, and the Polish director of Cold War, Pavel Pawlikowski, made it. Willem Dafoe made the Best Actor list and John David Washington did not.

Roma got two acting nominations, and looks like the clear favorite to win Best Picture since it is one of the few to get nominated for Director and Editing as well.

All in all this felt like a down year at the movies. I don't see a lot of all-timers in the field.

I have qualms
by Allumeuse  (2019-01-22 22:11:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doc is a mess. No nomination for Burning makes me want to set things on fire myself. Glad to see Caleb Deschanel in Cinem. Yalitza justly nominated, Marina less so. I do not understand the appeal of Greem Book at all. Another year where some of the best directing was by women and ignored, probably because they forgot about Granik again.

Someone is finally going to give Glenn Close an Oscar, I think, and I will probably die happy as a result. I hope I didn’t just jinx her.

Green Book
by paddyoreilly  (2019-01-22 16:20:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't see a lot, but Green Book was a very good movie, and Viggo Mortensen was terrific.

Verdict: all crap.
by ACross  (2019-01-22 13:46:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No interest in any of them.

So are the Oscars themselves.
by OCND  (2019-01-22 13:49:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Self-congratulatory Hollywood circle jerk. No thanks.

Ditto all awards shows. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-22 16:22:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed - and add fluffer shows like "ET", "Extra" etc. *
by NDFlyer  (2019-01-23 12:39:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wait a minute, no nomination for Won’t you be my neighbor?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a colossally stupid result

Agreed - same for Three Identical Strangers, and
by Pat85  (2019-01-22 10:49:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure if it was eligible, but They Shall Not Grow Old would have also been on my list for documentaries. I need to see a couple of the nominees I have yet to see, but I cannot understand how Neighbor didn't make the cut.

It’s a loaded year for documentary
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:52:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Won’t You Be My Neighbor was the clear front runner

And it brings happiness and eyeballs to the Oscars

Every year is like that now
by Allumeuse  (2019-01-22 22:03:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are in the Golden Age or docs, both long and short.

Nothing for "They Shall Not Grow Old" says it all. *
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-22 10:23:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure it released after the cut off
by elterrible  (2019-01-22 10:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it wasn't on the list of eligible releases.
edit: either that or it didn't meet this:
"for a qualifying run of at least seven consecutive days, during which period screenings must
occur at least three times daily, with at least one screening beginning between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
daily,"

This is correct
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 11:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They Shall Not Grow Old didn't screen often enough to become eligible. They had one-day event screenings. Not sure why they went that way, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

They’ll find a way to keep it from Roma
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:19:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don’t want Best Picture to go to a Netflix movie

It’s going to be interesting because they’re probably going to give it Director, Original Screenplay, and Cinematography then convince themsleves to give the picture to A Star Is Born...but no cooper directing nod makes me think they won’t.

Favourite maybe...but that seems unlikely too.

Picture, Actor, and Actress are wide open

No nod for If Beale Street Could Talk? That’s surprising.

Isn't the nomination process something like
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 10:52:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only directors nominate for best director but everyone votes once nominees are selected? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see A Star Is Born win best picture.

It's also instant runoff voting
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 12:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The votes are tallied, and then the votes for the last place finisher and redistributed to their second-place choice. This is repeated until one movie reaches 50% of the vote.

Since they went to this system, the number of "surprise" Best Picture winners has increased. Spotlight and The Shape of Water were rather shocking wins.

Hard to predict what movie in this field would benefit most from that kind of voting. It would seem to hurt Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book which are very divisive.

Good, because "Roma" is hilariously overrated. "Cold War"
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-22 10:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

got a nomination for Best Foreign Film and Best Director (all films), so Gal is happy this morning.

I've boycotted them even since 1998 when Shakespeare in Love
by usmcirish  (2019-01-22 10:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beat out Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture.

Nothing they could or can ever do to bring me back.

Your list only reinforces my decision.

Same *
by KHarpForND  (2019-01-22 12:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saving Private Ryan may be the best movie ever made
by JClarke  (2019-01-22 10:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree 1998 was an embarrassment.

What if they beheaded Weinstein on air and revoked all his
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:17:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Winners including Shakespeare?

The English Patient won 9 fucking Oscars...ugh

Haha. You just added to my evidence. Agreed. *
by usmcirish  (2019-01-22 10:20:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Black Panther for best picture????
by NDEE01  (2019-01-22 10:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't as putrid as the rest of Marvel movies, but it still a mediocre and boring movie.

Mediocre and Boring can describe a host of previous nominees
by sb  (2019-01-22 10:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a decent movie with a significant cultural impact. It's not going to win, so there is no reason to get worked up about it.

It’s the reason they expanded past 5 nominees
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So at least they finally used one of those extra slots on a good movie that appealed to more than just movie snobs.

I'd argue Black Panther was 2018's 3rd best superhero movie
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 10:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I didn't see Incredibles 2, so maybe fourth best.

Agreed. Good, but overrated. *
by Duke Camaro  (2019-01-22 11:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re all racists!
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 11:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*I didn’t think it was all that great either.

I think I've said this the last three years
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 09:37:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But to me this was by far the weakest movie year since at least the '90s. I didn't see as many movies as usual (in particular, I haven't gotten to Burning, Mandy, American Animals, Blindspotting, or Cold War), but I still saw about 30-35.

It was so bad I made a top eight instead of a top ten.

The Favourite
Thoroughbreds
The Death of Stalin
Eighth Grade
Sorry to Bother You
Annihilation
Into the Spider-Verse
You Were Never Really Here

If this were 2014 or 2015, only the top three would make the list.

Edit: I forgot about First Reformed, which I'd put 4th or 5th.

I have seen one movie that received a nomination
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 13:27:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isle of Dogs. I do not plan on watching any of the best picture nominees.

I also saw:

Annihilation
Bad Times at the El Royale
Halloween
Hot Summer Nights
Love, Simon
Mandy
Mile 22
Mom and Dad
The Night Comes for Us
Revenge
Small Town Crime
Summer of 84
Super Troopers 2
The Vanishing of Sidney Hall
You Were Never Really Here

It is not the strongest year, but I liked most of the movies from the list. I never judge whether a movie year is strong by looking at the Oscar nominees. A year is strong if I like movies released that year.

2018 movies I saw
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 14:16:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Star is Born
Blackkklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
My Dinner with Hervé
Annilation
Sorry to Bother You
Incredibles 2
Crazy Rich Asians
Bohemian Rhapsody
Searching
Ballad of Bust Scrugs
Mandy
Isle of Dogs
Game Night
Super Troopers 2
Terminal
The Captain
Mid 90s
Tag
Peppermint
Mile 22
Arizona
Night School
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
RBG
Skyscraper
Venom
Avengers Infinity Wars
Ant Man & The Wasp
Mission Impossible Fallout
White Boy Rick
The Meg
Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
Rampage
Oceans 8
Solo
Gringo
The Equilizer 2

In the que
First Man (shipped)
The Hate U Give (shipped)
Hunter Killer
Bad Times at the El Royal
The Predator
Widows
Den of Thieves
The Girl in the Spiders Web

*This amount will change in 2019 if I get the job driving the Weinermobile.

That's a lotta dimp *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:18:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I make good use of the DVD service.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 14:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure there are some recs from you I couldn’t remember that should be on there as well.

Living in the sticks, your recs are essential for indie and other non big budget movies I might not otherwise hear of.

I'm always playing catch up on movies from prior years
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:58:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I never watch a lot of current year movies. Your volume is impressive. I probably won't ever get to most of those.

A lot of those you can guess were clunker, pop corn flix.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 15:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I too am catching up on old movies. As I have lulls in the que I get older 60s and 70s “Classics”.

Then I pick out an actor/actress and check out older stuff of theirs. The Cincast podcast was doing some Danny DeVito stuff so I tossed “Other People’s Money” and “Ruthless People” in the que.

If you find yourself in the mood for stylized crime dramas
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 19:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just made a Stoic Noir list. Based on your taste, I think it'd be up your alley. I'm sure you've seen many of them, but the ones you haven't are probably worth your time.

Le Samourai
Heat
The Driver
The Drop
A Colt is My Passport
Thief
Drive
Violent Cop
The Conversation
To Live and Die in L.A.
Lucky Number Slevin
Rififi
A History of Violence
Miller's Crossing
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Too Late
Small Town Crime

Thanks.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 19:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve seen a handful of those, but I copied the rest down.

To be clear, I was also referring to all movies, not Oscars
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 13:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I missed most of the movies on your list, so maybe that's part of the problem.

It's not a list of great movies, but for people with
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 13:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

similar taste to mine, it is a list of entertaining movies.

Mandy and Revenge are awesome.

I still don't know what I think of Annihilation, but it was visually stunning and got me thinking.

Bad Times didn't know how to tie it all together, but it has style.

I'm a fan of the Halloween series, and I think they did a solid homage/send up.

Hot Summer Nights, Love Simon, and Sidney Hall are solid coming of age movies.

Mile 22 has some good action sequences. The rest is Mark Wahlberg yelling for no particular reason. It is the worst movie on the list.

Mom and Dad is a ridiculous Nic Cage horror comedy.

The Night Comes for Us is a violent Indonesian action/martial arts movie. It is awesome and bloody.

Small Town Crime is a solid noir.

Summer of 84 is a Stand By Me/Stranger Things style coming of age movie that turns sinister. Note: It is not as good as Stand By Me or Stranger Things, but it similarly blends coming of age and darkness.

Super Troopers 2 was as good as anyone could reasonably expect.

You Were Never Really Here hit on a lot of the themes I like. Some of the style was a shock to the senses.

Are you swallowing M&M’s whole Farva?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 17:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, it all goes to the same place right?

Why is that the funniest moment I’ve seen in movies all year?

Annihilation
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-22 14:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the lobotomized man’s “V.R.T.”

It is neither Stalker nor Solaris,
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:15:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it would like to be.

I had the same reaction you did
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 14:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I walked out with significant qualms, but it's stayed with me more than almost any other movie this year.

I would only unequivocally recommend The Favourite, Thoroughbreds, and The Death of Stalin. And those three are not for everyone, to say the least.

I took my boys to Into the Spiderverse yesterday
by tenn_subway  (2019-01-22 11:28:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm off work, they're off school...why not? I had zero expectations.

I was absolutely shocked how much I enjoyed that movie and I'm not a superhero movie guy.

Both teenagers in the house have seen it twice, I believe. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-22 13:57:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't think Eighth Grade was very good. *
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-22 11:05:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 12:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought I was going crazy when I saw the 99% score on RT.

"A Quiet Passion" is one of the worst movies I've seen
by 206er  (2019-01-22 12:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

91% on Rotten Tomatoes

It made me root for Cynthia Nixon in the election
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 12:12:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So she'd stop making movies.

It was horrible. *
by Bruno95  (2019-01-22 11:17:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s cause you’re a dude. Watch “Mid 90s”.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 11:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Similar in spirit, but for guys.

Allu hated it too *
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-22 11:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn’t like it, but figured it’s because I couldn’t relate
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 13:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the character.

I did think the young actress did an excellent job and the pool party insecurity is relatable to 99.9% of people.

Maybe it's an age thing
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 12:00:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm young enough to have had Myspace and texting in eighth grade. The leap from that to Snapchat and Instagram provides enough starkness to jar but enough similarity to relate.

The pool party scene transcends generations.

Highest grossing year by a lot
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also had a lot fewer complete stinkers than in years past.

I think movies are getting better but also a bit safer at all levels. I don’t really know how to back that up with data...but it’s interesting to hear art house movie nerds speak of this being a down year while reviewers that focus on popular movies are pointing out the banner year we’ve had.

I think a lot of the Oscar bait (Nov/Dec released dramas) movies missed their mark. I can’t believe First Man didn’t produce an Oscar winner.

The public indifference to First Man
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 10:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is still mind-boggling to me. I don't know if that stupid "no flag-planting" controversy hurt it badly, or if it was just that the movie faithfully depicted Neil Armstrong as an unassuming, humble guy, but that was possibly my favorite Oscar-type movie of the year. It's one of the few movies about the Space Age to really hit on how dangerous spaceflight was.

Ryan Gosling is boring *
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-22 14:11:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've liked him in a lot of things
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 16:13:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Nice Guys
The Big Short
Blue Valentine
Drive
The Place Beyond the Pines
Crazy, Stupid Love

I think he makes interesting choices.

Space Movie Fatigue. Hidden Figures, Interstellar, etc. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-22 11:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Lanthios and McKay nominations were atrocious
by 206er  (2019-01-22 09:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two horrible over-directing jobs. They really got in the way of their movies.

With a snub on Cooper.
by FaytlND  (2019-01-22 11:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if you don't think "A Star is Born" is great, it would be hard to argue Cooper didn't get the most out of those in it.

Agreed on McKay
by rutfilthygers  (2019-01-22 10:08:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of the tricks that worked well in The Big Short didn't come off so nicely in Vice. I did laugh at the credits starting to roll mid-movie.

I really liked The Favourite and thought Lanthimos's directing was a big part of setting the tone of the film. It's a cracked version of reality, and his camerawork really put you in that state of mind.

I assume this is Cuaron's to lose, but I think I'd vote for either Lanthimos or Lee.

Camera on The Favourite is Robbie Ryan
by Allumeuse  (2019-01-22 22:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Justly nominated himself.

The Bryan Singer deal is making Best Picture more complex
by 206er  (2019-01-22 11:42:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wasn't nominated and never was going to be. But I doubt his omission will count against the movie itself, as it would it most years.