Flu question for board docs and medical pros
by Otter (2019-01-22 12:21:19)

The flu is rolling through my kids small catholic school. There have been 5 or more kids with confirmed diagnosis and many others with same symptoms who haven't gone to the doctor.

My 13 yr old son started feeling sick on Saturday with a sore throat and very fatigued. Ran a temp of 102.

Sunday night my 12 year old daughter started feeling a sore throat. No fever.

Yesterday the both of them were running a fever of 102 plus even with round the clock tylenol.

My wife went down last night with the same thing. Fever. Body ache in the joints. Chills.

So far nobody has gone to the doctor.

My question is two fold:

1) For the first time in probably 20 years I haven't gotten the flu shot. I read that it takes two weeks to become effective. I considered running out to get it today, but worried that it might make me more susceptible to getting sick for the short period I usually feel like crap after I get it.

2) Antivirals: My 10 year old daughter and I have no symptoms yet, but I feel like it is a matter of time. Is there any way to get antivirals without a legit flu diagnosis in the house? Would it be worth the effort?

Any advice would be helpful.

I would...
by smiley  (2019-01-22 17:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go get a flu shot. When we did it last time, I asked this exact question. And they said no, it won't make you anymore susceptible. It may not be as effective, but still... if it is somewhat effective, that is better than nothing.

Also, if you do end up getting it... they say that the flu shot lessens the effects of the flu.

Not a doctor, but get them to one ASAP. My doc
by ndwifemom  (2019-01-22 13:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Told me of a very healthy young woman who died of the flu. Things can go South very quickly.

In terms of flus shot, yes it takes ten days to two weeks to kick in. Also, many people get it too early, October, for example. Peak flu season is December to January and if u get it too early it is.not as effective now. That is per NYTimes piece.

The flu is not fun.
by Dutch  (2019-01-22 12:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Consider going to the doctor to get Tamiflu for the kids. It's very expensive, but it helps reduce the effects and duration of the flu. All three of my kids got the flu a year ago and I think Tamiflu helped. As for you, why not get the flu shot ASAP? There is no down side.

Not a doctor but have had pneumonia and would tell you
by irishguard78  (2019-01-22 12:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To pay close attention to those kids. I had a fever north of 103 and was coughing very hard, hacking up massive amounts of phlegm and choking on it. Coughed up tinges of blood. My doctor said I likely had the flu and told me if I ever had that severe a case to go to the hospital.

If your kids end up with pneumonia, it can get very serious very quickly.

And I’ll just speak for myself. Get a flu shot.