Have any of you ever replaced a shower cartridge?
by irisharab (2019-01-22 13:52:52)

Or at least attempted to?

I'm debating whether I should attempt to do this myself, or whether this is something that really should be done by a plumber or handyman. My house is about 17 years old, so I'm not sure whether this would make the job easier or more difficult.

I replaced the seats and springs, not the whole cartridge.
by missnd  (2019-01-22 21:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My shower head was leaking and somewhere online I read a suggestion to just replace the seats and springs for $5 rather than the whole cartridge for $30. I think I watched some videos and looked at some websites and managed to figure it out. That was at least a couple of years ago, and it's been fine ever since.

Done our Symmons and it was easy
by kentdorfman  (2019-01-22 20:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Needed a special tool however. And some plumbers grease. If it is just leaking, should not be too much of a challenge. I would use some penetrating oil and let it soak for a hour or more.

Tried to about 6 months ago. The valve bonnet was so
by Barrister  (2019-01-22 15:33:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely seized, I had to call a handyman friend of the family to cut it out of the line and replace the whole valve.

I think if I could have opened the bonnet, I could have replaced it myself, though.

I just did a push-button diverter and toe-touch drain
by ndgenius  (2019-01-22 14:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a plumber at all but watched some videos and gave it a shot. I'm petrified every time the bathtub is full that I'm going to get water everywhere but it seems to be doing good.

Make sure you have the right tools...I was going to avoid getting the drain wrench and it turned out that not only did I need that, I also had to use my big pipe wrench (after heating up the drain) to get it to turn. I puttied and teflon taped everything and hopefully I did it right. I actually installed the diverter incorrectly at first because I did not have it depressed like it needed to be to seat properly.

While I get nervous about the results, the thrill of doing these types of things on your own is great. I would have paid probably $100-150 to get this fixed and it cost me $40 including the wrench so big savings.

This. Watch YouTube for your type of
by 2020  (2019-01-22 16:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shower if you can find it.

It was pretty easy.

I would call a pro...I learned the hard way
by DavidAddison  (2019-01-22 14:00:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I changed many sink cartridges myself. Easy because you can see the results and monitor things underneath the sink. You can't do that in a shower wall. We had water pouring into our garage below. I still don't know exactly what I did wrong. Had a pro come out to fix and get it right. But had to deal with garage ceiling damage. No bueno.

My buddy says, "If it flows, call the pros"
by ndzippy  (2019-01-22 14:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And, having flooded my basement while doing some work on a water heater, I now fully subscribe to this approach.

Not difficult, but can be tricky
by weirdo0521  (2019-01-22 13:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If old one gets stuck, pour vinegar over it, wait a few minutes and try again.

Would a hair dryer help? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-22 16:10:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post