30 years ago today
by jt (2019-01-22 15:27:16)

Was that the drive ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-01-22 18:22:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where Joe spotted John Candy in the stands? He defined the word "cool" when it came to pressure - with all due respect to TB12.

yes *
by jt  (2019-01-22 19:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eff the 9ers.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-22 16:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

28 years ago Sunday, they step on their cranks and score a measly 13 points in a home loss to the undermanned Giants, capped off by a de-pantsing fake punt and Roger Craig fumble.

Without an opponent worthy of their greatness, the Buffalo Bills, fresh off a 51-3 disembowelment of the Raiders, decide to treat the next dozen days in Tampa as a pre-victory vacation. Kelly, Thurman, and Talley inhale enough blow and stripper glitter to fill a Buick, Bruce gets his BAC to a resting rate of 0.3, and Marv Levy eschews any game planning in favor of getting lost in a week-long Scrabble tournament binge at the Clearwater VFW.

Meanwhile, Jeff Hostetler is visited by the duo of Doug Williams and time traveling Nick Foles, who give him their secrets. Upstart assistant Bill Belichick discovers for the first time a sweatshirt with a hood sewed onto it. He casually slips it on and feels his brain unlock with magic like John Travolta in Phenomenon. LT is at the strip club with Kelly an Co. but had spent the past several years building up an immunity to cocaine and stripper dust and is therefore unaffected.

On January 27, this great domino chain produces the most ridiculous Super Bowl result to date. Young Potatohouse (whose father's consulting work with the NFL netted a few nosebleed tickets) sits in stunned silence as Scott Norwood's kick sails just wide and a sea of blue jerseys swarm the field. An ugly-sweatered tuna is hoisted onto shoulders, the most undeserving MVP this side of Andre Iguodala is crowned, and the Bills (and I) never recover.

Eff the 9ers.

Barr's FG barely made it through (at the link).
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-22 23:27:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting YouTube comment from the video:

"The end of an era in San Francisco 49ers history, certainly the end of their dynasty. The fans in Candlestick Park that day had no idea that they were watching Roger Craig and Ronnie Lott play their final games in Niners uniforms, or that they were watching Joe Montana's last game as San Fran starting QB."

dozen days in Tampa?
by jt  (2019-01-22 17:09:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I seem to recall that there was only a week between the championship game and Super Bowl that year, but I might be wrong.

And Joe was hurt in the Niners loss to the Giants.

That explains a lot
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-23 10:32:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somebody should've told the Bills.

Yes, it was only a 7-day gap that year.

Oops. Meant half dozen.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-22 18:33:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I don’t blame Joe. I’m sure three decades later he still wakes up some mornings and instinctively tries to brush Candlestick sod off his tongue.

Jim Burt almost killed Joe in that game
by Jvan  (2019-01-22 17:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put him out of commission for a long time. Later, Burt became a Niner.

Leonard Marshall
by Flann  (2019-01-23 10:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall Pat Summerall stating that the report on Montana from the 49ers sideline was that "everything hurts."

No, that was in 1986
by jt  (2019-01-22 19:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by 1990 Jim was on the 49ers.

Yes, I know
by Jvan  (2019-01-22 20:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he broke a bone in his throwing hand in that 1990 game. My thought was the Niners would have won if he was able to finish. When you said Joe was hurt against the Giants, I flashed to the more memorable hit that put him on the shelf for the game and the entire next (1987) season.

Joe played the entire 87 season
by jt  (2019-01-22 21:49:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(besides the strike games that he missed). he missed the 91 and most of 92 season with an elbow injury. That's when Steve Young got his chance. he sat out half the year in 1986 due to a back issue and Jeff Kemp (son of former Bills qb and famous politician Jack Kemp) started the majority of the other games, along with a guy by the name of Mike Moroski (or something like that; former UC Davis qb).

Ironically...Jim Burt went to Orchard Park High School.
by Iceknight  (2019-01-22 17:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also home of the Buffalo Bills. I've watched the Norwood kick once. And that play will never grace these eyeballs again...