Lived there for a bit, and still love the place dearly.
by Ofcr. Tim McCarthy (2019-02-11 11:40:26)

In reply to: Hong Kong travel  posted by IrishTerp

My significant other was just there a few weeks ago, and I was green with envy -- I haven't been since '14.

I second BI's and the other suggestions below. I'd stay at the Upper House again in a heartbeat. If you can't swing that, and are looking for value, then I'd suggest the Royal Pacific in Kowloon.

I wholeheartedly second the suggestion that you visit one of the outer islands. In addition, I highly recommend a full day in Sai Kung Country Park, and in particular a visit to one of the beaches (which are much better than the beach on Cheung Chau). See link below.

Eat at Tung Po Restaurant in North Point -- if they still have the crocodile paw stew, get that. Drink at Brecht's in Causeway Bay, and Delaney's in Tsim Sha Tsui (not the one in Wan Chai). China Club is good but kind of overwrought and shiny now -- if you can swing an invite to the Hong Kong Club somehow, you can enjoy one of the dwindling outposts of real old expat Hong Kong.

For a suit, go to Sam's. I use Maxwell's much more regularly, because of pricing, but for your first one, splurge a bit. Sam's is genuinely better. Go there on your first or second day in town, because you will need to return for an intermediate fitting before they finish it off. They can get it done in a week, but you don't really want to rush them.

Skip Disney and go to Ocean Park. Funkier and much more 'local.' Seriously, it's fun, even for semi-grown-ups.

And I know that whenever I get back over there, I'll be driving the new HK-Macau bridge/tunnel. I have no use for Macau, but the bridge is apparently a wonder.

I went to Raja Luxe for my suit. It was a process
by RagingBull  (2019-02-11 17:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it turned out great. Sam's is better but was closed when I went.