Phil is #9 all time in PGA wins, but has never been #1.
by 84david (2019-02-11 14:15:09)

In reply to: Mickelson finishes off PGA Tour career win #44 at age 48  posted by Tony Almeida

Astonishing given the long list of former #1s in the game now that have far fewer wins (except Tiger of course).

Do golfers care about that?
by bluengold07  (2019-02-11 18:58:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always likened it to being ranked #1 during the college football season - essentially meaningless.

I would think that Montie and Greg Norman would trade in all their days at #1 for a few more majors (or one in Montie's case).

I think it's a nice feather in one's cap
by bizdomer09  (2019-02-11 20:14:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but doesn't come remotely close to winning a major. I also think for Phil his career is distinguished enough that not having been #1 has no bearing whatsoever on anything for him - how he's perceived, respect, career fulfillment, etc. It's just a fun and interesting fact, as offered by 84david.

And it will always be excused because he paralleled Tiger *
by NDoggie78  (2019-02-12 09:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post