? For the seasoned air travelers. Packing a suit
by The Holtz Room (2019-02-12 13:58:00)

Any good tips? A quick Google search shows Brooks Brothers technique, but curious if anyone has one that works for them.

There might be a chance to get it pressed before I need it, but just planning ahead.

Thanks.

Just put your suit on a hanger in a cheap plastic
by 1002  (2019-02-13 04:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zip-up garment bag. You should use a hanger that locks your pants to the hanger. Carry your suit on the plane. As soon as you get on, tell the steward / stewardess that you have an important meeting / are attending a funeral / have a job interview, and ask them to hang your suit in the closet. They will be more than happy to accommodate you and your suit will be perfect without the effort of specially packing it or buying some expensive luggage.

This procedure has always worked for me.

Hanging inside plane doesn't work anymore in my experience
by Brandon  (2019-02-13 10:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did that a lot about 10-15 years ago and it usually worked but I've noticed either a polite refusal by flight attendants or newer planes that don't appear to have the same compartment for garments to hang. Maybe it varies by airline, but I usually look for it and rarely see it anymore. I fly mostly Delta and Southwest, occasionally United.

Wear the jacket onto the plane. *
by Bruno95  (2019-02-12 16:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but take your shoes off *
by 84david  (2019-02-12 19:54:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and if you get hot, take off your pants and jacket. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-02-12 18:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn’t go with my Zubaz pants. Don’t want to look stupid. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-02-12 17:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is an excellent chance to embrace sweater casual.
by BottleofRed  (2019-02-12 21:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zubaz, however, do not make the cut.

I don't travel with a suit often, but here's my approach.
by circle07  (2019-02-12 16:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These instructions make it sound more difficult than it really is. The basic gist is that while you're folding the suit you're never folding it with a hard edge — there's always something in between the folds that prevent them from creasing.

Steps:

1) Button up the jacket and lay it flat on your bed, front down.

2) Fold your pants as you normally would, along the pleat, and lay them perpendicular across the top half of your jacket so that the waist runs along the leftmost part of the jacket and the hem is off past the rightmost part of the jacket.

3) Take all your other folded clothes — the ones you don't worry about wrinkling — and stack them in piles on top of the pants, covering the top half the jacket.

4) Pick up your pants by the hem and fold them to the left back over all the clothes you just placed. Tuck any portion of the pants that runs past the leftmost part of the jacket back between your pants and the jacket (the idea being no part of your pants extend beyond the jacket).

5) Fold each of the arms behind the jacket, draping them over your pants-wrapped pile of clothes.

6) Finally, fold the jacket in half by bringing the bottom up over your clothes pile.

This nicely wrapped suit package should fit perfectly in one half of a standard carry-on size roller. Strap it in and you're good to go. Obviously, still take it out as soon as you get to your final destination.

Keep it simple
by AlexPKeaton  (2019-02-12 15:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fold your suit in half along the spine, with the exterior facing out as normal. Fold it in half again. Make sure the sleeves are laying relatively flat on the top of the suit as you put it in your suitcase.

This method takes approximately ten seconds and my suits are always fine when I take them out in the hotel. It's possible that nicer quality suits handle this method better than cheaper wool - I buy my suits from Nordstrom when they run their sales.

If it's from Jos. A. Bank, no need to worry
by TCIrish03  (2019-02-12 15:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just keep it with the towels.

Nice! *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-02-12 15:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just fold the suit up and place it in my bag.
by EricCartman  (2019-02-12 15:05:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I get to the hotel, I hang my jacket up in the closet. I hang my pants upside down with my belt in the waist (the weight helps remove wrinkles).

I've never had a problem with this method.

The most useful trick ...
by Ofcr. Tim McCarthy  (2019-02-12 14:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... is to use the shower at the hotel to steam the suit upon arrival. Works for shirts too. You need an hour to do it, to allow for drying time, but as long as you've folded it well enough to prevent severe creases, this does the trick nicely.

ghetto cleaners
by DBCooper  (2019-02-12 15:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have been doing this since college. Love it.

Yes. But don't forget about it.
by stedsman  (2019-02-12 15:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did that once, closed the door, and then forgot about it and went out to dinner. I came back to the steam bath. My suit was practically sopping wet and the bathroom door was warped.

Just make sure you do it correctly
by donger  (2019-02-12 15:22:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My (idiot) friend was advised of that tip by others while on cruise. He had a wrinkled dress shirt and a group was going to grab a nice dinner. As they walked to dinner, my friend admitted that the tip worked but he wasn't sure that it was worth it. His shirt was completely soaked and dripping - because he didn't realize the shirt was to be hung outside of the shower. I even think it was a singles cruise; I don't think he did well that night.

Hilarious *
by son of galway  (2019-02-12 15:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this works *
by discNDav  (2019-02-12 15:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tuxedo t-shirt *
by 84david  (2019-02-12 14:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Downy Wrinkle Releaser helps too
by NDoggie78  (2019-02-12 14:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I carry the small travel bottle with me

The old steam in the bathroom if all else fails

I spray that on my face before bed every night.
by PWK2  (2019-02-13 14:46:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm 63, but I look 61.

using the plastic from the cleaners helps *
by DBCooper  (2019-02-12 14:37:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is correct
by HTownND  (2019-02-12 16:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And get a bag that can handle suits without creases.

Go to the 1:00 mark for the inside section:

Anything that has a system that folds horizontally, when coupled with the plastic from the cleaners and you should be set.

Yep. Suits and shirts go horizontal. Everything else folded *
by NDFanSince81  (2019-02-13 08:44:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is what I do
by Bmoreirish  (2019-02-12 18:46:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The investment in the suitcase has been well worth it, I travel confidently that my suit will arrive ready to wear. I used to bring it in a suit bag and ask a flight attendant to hang it up for me, but found that airlines became less and less accommodating of that request.

They are ridiculous about it now
by HTownND  (2019-02-13 11:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if you have status and are sitting in first class, they still look at you funny if you ask to hang a small garment bag.

This is exactly what I've been doing for 20 years without
by milhouse  (2019-02-12 17:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any significant wrinkles. Hanging it overnight usually takes care of anything residual. Same thing for dress shirts.

That's my trick
by Brandon  (2019-02-12 15:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I use a plastic cover from the dry cleaners and put my suit under that. Then I place that plastic inside of a plastic or cloth suit garment bag that zips up. I fold the garment bag over once, sometimes twice (depending on size of luggage I'm packing it in) until it fits inside of my bag. I've never had a problem with wrinkling and I think the plastic slip is what's key because it creates a barrier and clings, eliminating the friction from rubbing against other materials or other parts of the suit.

I do the same aproach as Brandon *
by mike-nd  (2019-02-12 15:13:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I use approach 1 in the embedded video
by fontoknow  (2019-02-12 14:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have not had a lot of luck with approach 2.

When possible, I prefer to use a 2 suiter instead of a pullman when I need to bring suits on the road.

I used to use the second method but also had issues
by Santos L Halper  (2019-02-12 14:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I now use method 1 without folding inside out.

The key is to pack the suit right before you leave for the airport and to take it out as soon as you get to the hotel. Do not leave it folded in your luggage for longer than you need to.

1 and 3 are basically the same, no?
by ndtnguy  (2019-02-12 14:31:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's how I do it, and it's how this guy does it.

I prefer to pack them in a garment bag, but the inside-out method works if you're trying to travel light.

I use #2 also. Works well. *
by veets  (2019-02-12 14:20:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post