He should also talk to his advisor
by jddomer (2019-02-12 15:40:59)

In reply to: MCAT prep advice  posted by 801stlouis

His school might have financial assistance for test prep, or offer the test prep themselves. I also second the suggestion that he plans to take the test in time to get his scores back by the beginning of June in order to be at the beginning of the application cycle.

Thanks! We found a financial aid link on reddit.
by 801stlouis  (2019-02-12 15:52:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should definitely qualify and it will save them almost $200. I don’t know how he’s going to accomplish taking the test any sooner than April, as he doesn’t complete his courses until 4/25. Is it reasonable to take the MCAT during finals, or even before finals?

depends on the student
by jddomer  (2019-02-12 16:24:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and seriously, I looked and there's a pre-med advisor at UNF. That person will probably have all the information the student needs. I would not rely on Reddit for pre-professional counseling. Whether he is positioned to take the MCAT right now depends on whether he has completed the right courses. Additionally, if his school does committee letters, he might need to get signed up for that now. If he hasn't met with the advisor, he really needs to ASAP. Every school is different. He needs to know what his school does and what it offers.

Agree with all this.
by Duke Camaro  (2019-02-12 18:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took the MCAT and applied to med school as a non-traditional student, having graduated undergrad several years before. Even still, I sought out a Committee recommendation letter and I know that helped my application. As a traditional undergrad, med schools almost expect that thing.

I would definitely NOT recommend taking the MCAT close to/immediately prior to finals. While it is important to get the score back to apply early, it is far better to get good grades/GPA. Also, you can retake the MCAT, you can't retake a final.

Scores usually take a month to come back so as long as he takes in by mid to late May he should be good. But he needs to sign up now as most spots in his local area are probably full already and he may need to drive a bit to get to a testing center.