Restaurant recommendation - Mexico City
by irishsundevil (2019-02-17 13:44:08)

Anyone have a good restaurant recommendation? I want to do a nice restaurant at least one night I’m there. Pujol is booked solid for weeks out but something along those lines would be great.

See if Quintonil is available.
by smithwick  (2019-02-17 20:09:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some think it’s better than Pujol.

I didn’t love Quintonil
by shawno3  (2019-02-17 21:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree it’s the second most reputed place in Mexico City behind Pujol. But it is a borderline vegetarian menu which isn’t what I’m typically looking for and no dish really stood out. It was well executed...and a nice space...but I probably wouldn’t put it in my top 50 I’ve been to (globally, not just Mexico City). Pujol, by contrast, is in my top 5 if not top 3. Truly outstanding. If there’s anything the OP can do to secure a spot, he should.

I thought Contramar was good though seafood isn’t what first comes to mind when thinking of Mexico City. Honestly most of my favorite food experiences in Mexico City (I’ve spent 150-200 nights there) were in hole in the wall taco stands recommended by locals. Authentic tacos al pastor is much more memorable than another Michelin-starred place with a tasting menu (Pujol excepted).

I’d focus on making sure I had some of the really authentic local food:
- the aforementioned tacos al pastor
- true street food (which I would define as a place without a permanent edifice). One of the best things I’ve ever eaten in Mexico City is a gordita fried in lard at the stand right around the corner from our office.
- escamoles (if you’re adventurous enough to eat ant larvae)
- molcajetes
- mole (not my favorite but it’s a right of passage in Mexican cuisine)
- and another 100+ dishes that you will really only find in Mexico.

Absolutely.
by irishsundevil  (2019-02-17 23:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m definitely going to do the hole in wall route for the majority of my trip. I grew up with homemade Mexican food and can be very picky about it. Just thought I would do a “fancier” place one night to try it out.

Thanks for the tips! I have no plans when it comes to food. I will walk around and try whichever place looks intriguing. Looking forward to an amazing experience.