I didn’t love Quintonil
by shawno3 (2019-02-17 21:56:55)

In reply to: See if Quintonil is available.  posted by smithwick

I agree it’s the second most reputed place in Mexico City behind Pujol. But it is a borderline vegetarian menu which isn’t what I’m typically looking for and no dish really stood out. It was well executed...and a nice space...but I probably wouldn’t put it in my top 50 I’ve been to (globally, not just Mexico City). Pujol, by contrast, is in my top 5 if not top 3. Truly outstanding. If there’s anything the OP can do to secure a spot, he should.

I thought Contramar was good though seafood isn’t what first comes to mind when thinking of Mexico City. Honestly most of my favorite food experiences in Mexico City (I’ve spent 150-200 nights there) were in hole in the wall taco stands recommended by locals. Authentic tacos al pastor is much more memorable than another Michelin-starred place with a tasting menu (Pujol excepted).

I’d focus on making sure I had some of the really authentic local food:
- the aforementioned tacos al pastor
- true street food (which I would define as a place without a permanent edifice). One of the best things I’ve ever eaten in Mexico City is a gordita fried in lard at the stand right around the corner from our office.
- escamoles (if you’re adventurous enough to eat ant larvae)
- molcajetes
- mole (not my favorite but it’s a right of passage in Mexican cuisine)
- and another 100+ dishes that you will really only find in Mexico.

Replies: