Electrical wiring question
by buffaloirish (2019-02-18 10:08:34)
Edited on 2019-02-18 10:22:21

I'm hoping there are some handy people here that can give me some guidance on wiring for a ceiling fan/light fixture.

Here's the scenario:

1. We have a Hunter ceiling fan, which also has a light fixture. When installed/wired (new home, 2012), the fan was installed to be controlled by a wall switch, which was to be left "on" so that it powered a receiver switch that is paired with a little remote control. The receiver is actually installed up in the fixture, and wired in between the wiring from the house and the fan/light fixture's wiring. On the same wall switch plate, there are three other switches--one controls the other ceiling canister lights in the room, and one is a dummy switch (that I believe was originally intended to control the fan light, but which became superfluous with the remote installation).

2. All of a sudden, the fan and light stopped working.

3. I first tested the wall switch itself. the switch has running to it a white wire and a black wire, as well as a copper ground wire. All are installed correctly, and there is AC running from the house to the switch (I tested with a multimeter).

4. Next, I went to the ceiling fan/light fixture. (I disconnected the receiver--based on my internet exploration, I thought that the likely culprit was a bad receiver.)

5. Here's the confusing part (for me, anyway). From the ceiling (i.e., the wiring from the house), there is a black wire, a yellow wire, and a red wire, plus a copper ground wire. From the fan/light fixture, there is only a black wire, a black wire with a white stripe, and a white wire. Before I disconnected the receiver, the yellow wire from the house was not attached to anything.

6. I tested the wires from the house. The only one that appears to be carrying AC is the red wire. When I attached one multimeter probe to it (set on 250 AC), and the other probe to the metal mounting bracket, it reads about 120 AC.

7. The fan manual says to connect the "white wire from the ceiling to the wire from the fixture" and the "black wire from the ceiling to the black wire and the blue wire from the fan/light fixture." The problem is that I have no white wire from the ceiling (rather, I have red and yellow wires) and instead of a blue wire from the fixture, I have a black wire with a white stripe.

8. I tried connecting the red wire (ceiling) to the white wire (fixture), and the black wire (ceiling) to the black and black w white stripe wire (fixture), and nothing happens when I turn the switch on.

Long story short: I thought I had isolated the problem to a defective remote receiver, but when I removed the receiver from the equation, I still don't get the fan/light fixture working. Is it possible that the whole fan unit (light and fan together) went kaput at the same time?

I haven't found any clear solution on the internet. I've got an electrician scheduled to come out later in the week, but I figured I'd post here in case someone has an idea of what I'm missing. Thanks for your time if you've read this far.

Replies: