The St. Patrick's Battalion- El Batallón De Los San Patricos
by rgvirish (2019-03-17 14:21:14)

I try to listen to the song below every St. Patrick's Day. The song probably means a little more to me since I'm a Tejano that went to a school whose teams are named "The Fighting Irish".

The Mexican American War was fairly discussed by our Texas History high school teachers in the 1960s and 1970s. Probably since I grew up right by the Rio Grande River.

El Batallón de los San Patricios,(The St. Patrick's Battalion),role in that war was mentioned only in passing. It was when I went to ND and heard the stories of "Irish Need Not Apply", (and other discriminatory acts to Irish Catholics), did it make sense to me why a group of Irish soldiers would desert the US Army and join the Mexicans.

The movie "One Man's Hero" tells their story (link)
by SanBarIRish  (2019-03-17 23:39:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anti-Catholicism and
by novadamer  (2019-03-17 20:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other things. In addition to the general mistreatment of immigrants, the war with Mexico was roundly criticized in the US by several leaders of both parties.
As I recall, the San Patricios formed several batteries of artillery and put their US training to good effect, greatly helping the Mexican Army.
When captured, those who had deserted before the war started were branded and imprisoned as simple deserters, while those who had left after the war began were traitors and summarily hanged in a very slow and public way.

The timing of his desertion supposedly was why ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-17 22:19:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scott let Riley go with the branding. They manned one battery of Mexican artillery at Cerro Gordo and then had 6 or 7 guns to defend the convent at Churubusco.

That was the early stages of the Know Nothing era ..
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-17 16:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when anti-Catholic/anti-immigrant bigotry was heavily in vogue as Irish (and German) immigration significantly increased. A few interesting facts about the San Patricios (from memory): (1) The highest rate of desertion in US military history was during the Mexican War (something well over 10%) but these guys were among the few executed; (2) both US armies (Taylor and Scott) had some of the more inept generals in our history - Twiggs, Pierce, Pillow, Quitman, among others - who were stone stupid and in some instances bigots, and immigrants were especially badly treated; (3) Scott had most - but not all - of the San Pstricios executed. Among the ones he did not execute was John Riley, the alleged ringleader.