College Admissions..
by TWO (2019-03-18 11:55:16)

with the current scandal going on, how would you feel if the whole process had some defined way of allowing the best candidates to get into a school, be that Notre Dame or Texas State? No edges given to anybody, you're record determines if you get in, not your parents, not donations, etc.

I saw a survey where more than 50% of the people polled felt that giving legacies an edge over other students was unfair. Many colleges do just that, as does ND with it's Legacy pool. Also no doubt that donors all over the country are expecting a quid pro quo for their donation. I am guessing that at least at ND these kids are qualified for admission just don't have to compete for that spot, has to be very few of these kids though. While I think I have read that legacies are targeted to be around 30% of the class.

So would you be ok with Notre Dame eliminating the Legacy pool in interest making the process more fair?

Do you think denying children of wealthy donors automatic admission and make them go through the same process as every other student would impact donations much if at all?

Replies: