What's the difference between test prep and studying? *
by squid (2019-03-18 14:23:53)

In reply to: GPA in the age of rampant grade inflation and standardized  posted by FL_Irish

This user did not provide content for this post

Nothing, but if you’re asking me whether I want a kid who
by FL_Irish  (2019-03-18 14:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...scores a 1580 after studying for the SATs for a thousand hours or a kid who got a 1480 and used that time to make it to the Intel ISEF, I’ll take the latter.

I think there is a difference between prep and studying
by NavyJoe  (2019-03-18 14:50:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a difference between studying the content of the standardized test (math, vocab, reading comprehension, etc.) and understanding the actual drivers of success on the standardized test (e.g., is it better to skip or guess, when is it right to guess, how long should I take on each question, etc.)

I suppose there is also the reality that studying is generally free, while test prep is generally not.

I tend to agree
by ufl  (2019-03-18 15:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Test preparation is basically that: learning test taking techniques.