SAT is not standardized with so many kids getting extra time
by doghoused (2019-03-18 16:16:31)

In reply to: Your SAT outlook is wrong  posted by orangejubilee

There is a cottage industry among crazy parents in the northeast (and presumably elsewhere) to generate an IEP for your kid before he/she enters high school so that he/she gets extra time to take the SAT or ACT. While I believe that there are some kids who have legitimate reasons for additional time, there are too many others who are getting extra time, or no time limit at all, with a trumped-up "condition". How is this still considered a standardized test?

Don't believe extra time matters that much
by turtle17  (2019-03-18 17:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't have a lot of evidence either way, but I'd be surprised is extra time mattered that much for the SAT, especially at the high end. Mostly just based on my experience years ago and my oldest kids recently. The ACT is more rushed, maybe matters more than than the SAT.
About college, I can confirm that extra time forms are common, and that it isn't that hard to design tests for which they aren't a big advantage.

Well, it's OK
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-03-18 16:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those kids will get extra time on their work projects too.

Many are already getting extra time in college
by NavyJoe  (2019-03-18 16:54:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife works at a school in the UC system. If memory serves me correct, more than 40% of students at her university "qualify" for special-testing circumstances.