Flat Earth Supporters Now Plan An Antarctica Expedition To
by Walsh69 (2019-03-18 16:28:43)
Edited on 2019-03-18 17:41:22

The Edge Of The World from 'Forbes'

“Stupid is as stupid does.” —Philosopher Forrest Gump

I think I saw this in one of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies when the ship sailed off the edge. So I know it’s true, but is was definitely not in Antarctica.

It's likely that the edge is in North Korea. That is definitely unexplored territory. If they go there the IQ of both country's would increase.

We are now living in an age where opinions trump science and facts.

I originally thought this article must have appeared in the 'Onion.' To give themselves an edge, the searchers are probably carrying parachutes in the event they fall off the edge. Life preservers would likely be more useful. I suspect that if any of the team went to college, their parents had to use William Singer's company to get them in.

And, how exactly did they determine that the edge might be found in Antarctica? Maybe it's just the leader's opinion, or they discerned it from consulting a Ouija board or a Magic 8 Ball Stay tuned for more of where this stuff comes from.

Maybe they should look in the oceans.It's the most unexplored areas on the planet. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

I am appalled by the lack of tolerance displayed in this
by Irish 1978  (2019-03-19 10:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thread. Shouldn't a community like NDNation welcome all points of view?

Come'on people, we should join together and sing "We Are the World," be it round OR flat.

This is terrible. How will I ever be able to sleep? *
by Nitschke  (2019-03-19 08:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think these people are just winding you up. They cant
by Inigomontoya  (2019-03-19 00:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

possibly believe this. It’s a running gag, and some people have actually parlayed it into a little business.

No, they really are that stupid. Like Anti-Vaxxer stupid. *
by Wooderson  (2019-03-19 06:18:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let’s be fair, Flat Earth trumps Anti-Vaxxer stupid
by DakotaDomer  (2019-03-19 08:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the stupid continuum Flat Earth dominates over anti-Vaxxer, 9/11 truthers, OJ’s innocent, MJ’s innocent, and even Jesus Dinosaur Cowboy

The only people further on the stupid continuum are WalMart Wolverines and Devin Nunes.

i think they are equivalent.
by NDWahoo  (2019-03-19 09:03:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in both cases, a wide body of evidence is largely ignored, to focus on a few discredited or on their face false data points.

It's just that round earth has been a scientific reality longer than vaccines, so it is assumed more difficult to disbelieve. However, for anyone under 70, vaccines have been a reality of life for just as long as a round earth.

I’m more lenient with anti-vaxxers because of their bias
by DakotaDomer  (2019-03-19 11:02:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both groups are based on pseudo-science bull shit to help reshape reality to their worldview. But the motivation is different.

For anti vaxxers they didn’t want a needle stuck in their baby 10 times over 5 years. I can at least somewhat relate to that. I can see why they developed a fantasy world where they didn’t have to do that. Not only that, they’re heroes for not doing that, you heroic moms and dads saving your children from autism.

I can’t understand what fantasy flat earth fulfills other than the one where science and learned people are lying to you about absolutely everything you’ve ever been taught. That desire is fucking crazy and weird.

I’m even more ok with Dino riding Jesus because at least then you’re trying to protect your religious fantasy.

Hence the continuum

I dont think the hypothesis that there may be
by WrathofSorin  (2019-03-19 10:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

immunologically-mediated neurological consequences after vaccines is in and of itself insane. It's just that, when it comes to autism and vaccines, there have been several high quality studies published in respected peer-reviewed journals which refute the linkage.

The hypothesis that the earth is flat is bat-shit crazy. If you designed a high quality study refuting the hypothesis that the earth is flat, do you think that study would get published in Science or Nature? No, because the hypothesis itself is one held only by morons.

I disagree...
by ufl  (2019-03-19 09:22:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...one can reject the flat earth notion with one's eyes and ears. If you live in California, get up at sunrise and call up an east cost acquaintance. Ask them when the sun rose. If they answer that rose three hours ago, you have decisive evidence. Alternatively take your binoculars on an ocean cruise and watch a ship disappear over the horizon hull first.

Both flat earthers and anti-vaxers reject the assessments of experts. Unlike the effect of vaccines, the reality of a spherical earth can be observed without expert help.

They have justifications for sunrises, sunsets, & horizons.
by rockmcd  (2019-03-19 12:16:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can find their answer with a quick google search if you feel like playing along. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but the gist of it is the concept that things look smaller when they're farther away. The sun is going in a circular pattern above the tropics, which explains why that's the hottest part and the furthest parts from the sun are the edge (Antarctica) and the center (the "North" pole). The reason why you have sunrise and sunset is because the sun is relatively small and close to the earth so it just appears to be closer to the earth's surface as it gets further away (similar to a faraway cloud on the horizon) and eventually disappears from sight like a car driving away on an empty road.

Where it falls apart seems to be:
(a) Unlike the car driving away, the setting sun doesn't appear to shrink. They have some weird justification that I didn't really get. Something about the light coming from the sun causing a magnification effect to offset the shrinkage caused by distance, kind of like how you'll see headlights before you see the car. Whatever.

But where the bubble really bursts is:
(b) If Antarctica is at the perimeter, how do they explain nearly 24 hour days in December and 24 hour nights in June? They don't have an answer - they just say that the video evidence is as fake as the moon landing video.

Thanks...I think *
by ufl  (2019-03-19 12:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your point is well taken.
by NDWahoo  (2019-03-19 10:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, I would posit that you can see the effects of vaccination by simply asking anyone who got measles in this outbreak whether they had the measles vaccine.

Or asking everyone you know if they've ever had polio.

True but
by ufl  (2019-03-19 10:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think anti-vaxers don't usually claim that vaccines don't work. They claim that they have side effects (particularly autism). I could be overgeneralizing, though.

I know a family of flat-earthers.
by 3rdSt  (2019-03-19 00:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their girls dance at the same school as mine and are generally normal people. But the husband has a personalized license plate that reads ‘flterth’ with a holder that reads “Flat Earth Society - Look it up”. I honestly thought for a few years it was a joke and that this guy was just taking trolling to a whole new level. At this point, I can assure you that he is entirely honest in his belief in the whole flat earth thing. I bet he’s even donated money for this cruise. It’s so bizarre that I have a tough time getting my head around it.

Were they geography majors at the University of Okoboji? *
by Manor76  (2019-03-19 06:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good. Antarctica is a good place for them. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-03-18 21:46:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Netflix has a show Behind the Curve
by MJV8198  (2019-03-18 20:46:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They attempt to explain their theory. Good stuff, a bunch of wackos

This was a pretty good documentary
by ND Stitch  (2019-03-19 10:44:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely highlighted the strangeness of the people who endorse this theory.

People will die on this expedition
by TheMeanFarmer  (2019-03-18 20:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Antarctica isn't a joke

Ironically, those who die would be a lock for a Darwin Award *
by dallasdawg  (2019-03-18 23:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“These guys are going to die,” Tom said flatly. *
by captaineclectic  (2019-03-18 21:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Judges would have also accepted "coldly" *
by Kmurphy173  (2019-03-18 22:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I'd like to think anyone would prepare for Antarctica"
by captaineclectic  (2019-03-19 00:08:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tom said globally.

"I'd hate to think of those men getting lost"

Tom said with compassion.

"After contemplating this mission, I've just had to lie down," Tom said horizontally.

My friend just came back from there
by DakotaDomer  (2019-03-18 20:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looked like a white paradise

Her brother did fall off the edge of the world though, so there’s that

Dumb question : What do they think other planets
by rgvirish  (2019-03-18 20:09:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are shaped like?
Are we just the third frisbee from the extremely warm giant orange frisbee?

How do these morons:
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-03-18 18:12:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Explain the fact if you go west long enough, you'll end up where you started?

IIRC, they believe the earth is a flat disc
by 105Marquette  (2019-03-18 18:56:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...with the North Pole at the center of the disc. When you travel west you're actually tracing a circle whose center is the North Pole.

Yes, like the UN flag. They believe Antarctica is a ring...
by Dan93  (2019-03-18 19:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Around the edge of the disk. Not sure how they explain different time zones. On their earth wouldn't the sun rise and set at the same time everywhere?

In their world the sun would never set
by ufl  (2019-03-18 19:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that haven't thought it through that much.

The sun is like a flashlight
by gozer  (2019-03-18 19:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The beam is only wide enough to cover a certain amount of the planet at once

That won't do it
by ufl  (2019-03-18 20:05:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The sun doesn't just disappear high in the sky every day. It goes below the horizon.

I’ll go ask Terry Pratchett
by gozer  (2019-03-18 22:34:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just gotta find my ouija board first

GNU Terry Pratchett *
by captaineclectic  (2019-03-18 23:54:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, I gues no one could go south far enough before running
by Walsh69  (2019-03-18 18:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into Antarctica. They just got stuck in the ice, or the penguins mugged them. Maybe that's why they are going there. These people are as ingenious as they are creative.

Actually that's one thing they can explain
by ufl  (2019-03-18 18:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as "West" is conveniently defined.

North or South would present a problem. However, if they were standing in front of me I would still not put that question to these folks.

Logan Paul is just a troll
by wcnitz  (2019-03-18 18:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the window lickers would happily follow him off a cliff.

Someone never saw the end of The Truman Show *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-03-18 17:48:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 2020 cruise needs to avoid the NBA season ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-18 17:30:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because I can't imagine they don't want Kyrie aboard for that.

Why Antarctica?
by Flann  (2019-03-18 17:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't they fall off another, less cold, edge of the world?

It's explained in the article.
by Ofcr. Tim McCarthy  (2019-03-18 17:55:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“When we look at Antarctica if you take a globe and you squish it down, the Antarctic would go all the way around the Earth. It’s kind of like an ice shore and its very very large. It’s not like you just go there, and you can just peek over it. We don’t believe anything can fall off the edge, because a big portion of the flat earth community believe that we’re in a dome, like a snow globe. So the sun, moon, and stars are all inside. It’s very high but all contained inside. So there’s no way to actually fall off of the earth.”

Can't argue with that. That's science.

So it's like the Truman Show, then.
by voidoid  (2019-03-18 18:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren't they afraid they'll crash their vessels into the dome and sink?

How do they explain Great Circle routes?
by El Kabong  (2019-03-18 17:20:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you fly from London to Los Angeles, why do you not fly in a point-to-point straight line?

Actually LHR-LAX (sorry Andy) would be relatively easy.
by GoonSquad  (2019-03-19 00:47:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem would be explaining routes along the Equator or in the Southern Hemisphere. Rio de Janeiro to Singapore, if such a route were to exist, would have to go over the North Pole. Either that or waste a TON of gas.

Probably the same way hardcore creationists ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-18 19:23:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

deal with the results of radiometric dating which shows conclusively, for example, that rock is 1,000,000 years old: "The appearance of age".

Those dinosaur fossils were put there by Satan. *
by Wooderson  (2019-03-18 21:18:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When do they depart from Ann Arbor? *
by doolinbanjos  (2019-03-18 17:05:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if they'll check their position by GPS? *
by ufl  (2019-03-18 16:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(golf clap). *
by rgvirish  (2019-03-18 17:33:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt it. That would be too scientific for this group. *
by Walsh69  (2019-03-18 16:42:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet they will but won't realize the irony *
by ufl  (2019-03-18 16:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post