It's been 10 years, it hardly seems real
by OITLinebacker (2019-03-24 00:16:47)

10 years ago Jon (FHSUIrish) breathed his last. It was another hard day in what had been and would be many hard days. I miss him daily and I often feel sorrow that my kids at best have just a vague memory of this wonderful man. I am blessed that friends and family help keep his memory alive for them. There have been fewer hard days since then. One of the harder ones since then was my youngest brother Jared’s wedding as I had to serve as a poor stand in for Jon. I felt I had a decent speech but the emotion of the moment and perhaps a bit of liquid courage caused me to not deliver my thoughts quite as cleanly as I would have liked. I said it was a hard day, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t one of the happiest days of my life as well.

Anyway, I felt like sharing the speech, the story and a bit of what Jon meant to me:

First of all, I want to start my speech with some apologies. The reasons I have to say “I’m sorry” will hopefully be clearer by the time I’m done. To mom: I’m sorry I don’t have the video of little Jared dancing at our cousin’s wedding out in California. Your tech genius son has been stymied (still to this day). I’m sorry to everyone else for not being able to share it with you. Jared dancing like Pee Wee Herman to Tequila was a rather impressive and funny sight. For you younger folks you’ll have to go to YouTube to get an idea of what I mean. Maybe someday I’ll actually have it posted there as well. That said, thank you Kelsey for helping him learn how to dance, that was an amazing first dance that was graceful and beautiful to behold.

Jared: I’m sorry that Jon is not here, we know he was truly one of the best men there ever was. Now we get to the reasons why I’m sorry is important. The words matter in so many ways.

You see in the last years of Jon’s life he often needed help and it was hard on Jon to accept help as he was such a strong person. Countless times he would say I’m sorry when you would help up, help him clean up after chemo made him sick, or after a long night of helping him get through the pain and nausea of another treatment.

The last time I had a conversation with Jon it was via Facetime a day or two before he passed and he was having a hard time breathing without a mask and was having a hard time talking. I was teaching him some bits of sign language that I knew. One of the last ones I taught him was “I love you” (which is your hand toward the speaker with your thumb and pointer extended making and L and your middle and ring fingers closed and your pinky in the air) as he said it back to me his sensors starting going off saying he needed to get the mask back on. He said “I’m sorry” and gave me the sign for I love you before he had to put the mask on. With the sudden flurry of activity in the room we were disconnected. It was the last words he ever said to me. It was only then that I realized that all those times he was saying “I’m sorry” he was also saying “I love you, thank you for loving me”

So the word really do matter. My bit of wisdom for the both you comes from Jon, no matter what the disagreement, make sure you say “I’m sorry”. Don’t go to sleep with anger and resentment in your heart, say “I’m sorry”, say “I love you” the words matter and your live will be all the more blessed because of it.

And so here is my toast to the happy couple “ Here is to saying ‘I’m sorry’, may you never have to say it to often, but may you always be able to say it” I’m sorry guys, I love you both now and forever.

R.I.P. FHSU. Ten years? Unpossible. This weekend, I was
by Hati Hijau  (2019-03-25 19:42:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thinking of posters who have passed over the years. FHSUIrish was one of them. I had lurked for a decade or more before I requested general posting privileges a few years ago. I remember the sorrow when FHSU passed. It does not seem or feel like ten years. God bless you FHSUIrish, your family, and friends.

Great speech. FHSUIrish never forgotten. *
by JC_90_94  (2019-03-25 16:54:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wow, can't believe it's been that long
by ColoNDFan  (2019-03-25 12:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't see Jon referred to back here in a long time unfortunately, thanks for bringing his memory and spirit back to the board.

Where he is now, there is no time.
by mkovac  (2019-03-24 18:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the hardest things for me to comprehend is what it must be like for souls who have passed into eternity and are now with God.

I read a lot about what it might be like, but I have no idea.

For FHSU, I believe that he is happy, that he exists outside of time, and that he knows when we are thinking about him.

Beyond everything, I believe that he is whole again, that he is joyful and without pain.

Imagine our own poster, Pablo Fanque, catapulted back in time to the front row of a 1966 Beatles concert and that’s about how I think it is for FHSU.

How odd—I was just thinking about him last week.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-03-24 14:39:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came to my mind out of nowhere, and now this post shows up.

Beautiful speech. A reminder to us all. Your family has
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-24 13:09:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

endured the unendurable with such grace.

We were just at the tree yesterday. 10 years... wow.
by ndwineaux  (2019-03-24 09:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My family will be lifting yours in prayer today. God bless you all.

I'd like to think Jon helped with that game winner last night for the hockey team!

THANK YOU for sharing your speech. It was truly wonderful.

I'm sorry we don't get to see you often. Love you guys.

I'll be substituting Jameson, as I don't have any Wild Turkey about, as I raise a glass in Jon's honor today.

So hard to believe
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-03-24 08:43:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I’ll be keeping you, your family, and Jon in my prayers on this sad anniversary. May he rest in peace, and may the thoughts and good wishes of your NDN family comfort you all.

10 years doesn't seem possible *
by BacTien  (2019-03-24 07:53:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10 Years? Wow. RIP FHSU *
by goirish89  (2019-03-24 07:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

R.I.P. FHSU *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-03-24 00:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post