Best rental car companies for quick pick up
by Tex Francisco (2019-04-22 11:28:28)

If you book directly through Hertz and are a Gold Plus member (but not a frequent user), do you get any sort of expedited pick up? Basically, what I'm asking is can you jump in line in front of the people who booked through Expedia, Costco, etc.? Are there any other companies that are better?

Picking up our rental car in Maui (booked through Costco), we had to wait in line forever. My struggle was real, and I vowed to never let it happen again.

PSA - Check your credit card for rental status
by OrangeJubilee  (2019-04-23 11:09:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you have a premium travel card, many will auto give you a higher level of status in a rental car. For example I rent infrequently but the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) sets me up with Emerald Executive - pick any car, not just the emerald aisle but also the executive aisle, and drive away paying I think the mid-size price. Gotten some nice cars.

Something similar with Avis on that card, I'm sure the higher end Amex's etc have stuff too. Note that location matters, if it's a small town like Amarillo, yeah you go to the counter and get the keys to a regular car, they jsut don't have a big selection.

I use Budget and belong to their preferred program
by NJND96  (2019-04-23 10:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every time I've needed to rent a car I get off of the shuttle bus, find my name and parking spot on a board, walk over, get in my car, and leave. No line, no hassle.

They're now owned by Avis and are exactly like Avis
by sprack  (2019-04-23 11:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who knows why they still have both brands.

Always take a quick video of the car before driving off
by soloirish  (2019-04-22 15:59:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will save you headaches down the road......

look into Turo.(car airBnB) great experiences so far. *
by ndlarryj  (2019-04-22 15:18:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sixt is fun -
by ndhouston  (2019-04-22 14:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Instead of driving one of those generic American/Japanese/Korean cars that is easily recognizable as "oh, that must be a rental" in any hotel parking lot, you get a BMW 4 or 5 series. Damn, that's fun. I'm never renting from an American rental car agency in Europe again.

Did sixt in ft Myers last week
by Nyirish08  (2019-04-22 22:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stood in the heat for 20 minutes waiting for the shuttle while all the Hertz people got into their cars and left onsite.
Then the shuttle was a minor hike.
Then the desk took forever.
Car was nice though.

Silvercar is similar but with Audi
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-04-22 16:57:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I use them every time I go to Denver or San Fran and they are quick, efficient, and all booking, pickup, return can be done through their mobile app. I like using them when I can and the mild premium you pay is worth it because of the quality of their fleet.

I've rented Mercedes-Benzes and BMW's from Hertz
by sprack  (2019-04-22 15:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At damn good prices, too. I wasn't even looking to rent a car like that but couldn't pass it up when I saw the price. The Mercedes was in Scotland and the BMW was in your own Munich.

I also rented a Citroen from Hertz in France that was a great car.

You have to rent a big German car when you're there
by milhouse  (2019-04-22 15:06:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so you can cruise on the Autobahn.

Oh, no doubt. And it's awesome
by sprack  (2019-04-22 15:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was especially fun to scare my wife.

"We're going 180 miles an hour???!"

No, that's kilometers.

"What's that in miles?"

I ain't tellin'.

In addition to the below
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-04-22 13:54:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Silvercar, where it exists, is a breeze.

Hertz. Check various companies use for discount codes ...
by irishnc92  (2019-04-22 13:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and, yes, there are some good discounts with USAA for rental car companies.

AARP, AAA

If you are renting a car at Phoenix International Airport, good luck trying to save money.... (taxes and fees)

National is the quickest I've used
by Siegfried08  (2019-04-22 11:58:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You skip the line and just pick up the car from the Emerald Aisle / Executive section of the lot and drive to the window.

Yep - can't imagine a better rental experience than National *
by BillShakespeare  (2019-04-22 14:05:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Avis offers same with Avis Preferred
by rflor  (2019-04-22 11:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As with Hertz, it all depends on the local facility and their capacity for handling Pick-And-Go.

In Honolulu, for example, we still have to go to the Avis Preferred window to pick up keys, but with a much shorter line.

Seconded
by builderbob  (2019-04-22 14:14:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also anyone can sign up as preferred online to get past the lines.

This is my go-to
by Brandon  (2019-04-22 12:17:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used Enterprise for a while but got sick of their in your face "customer service" approach that's really just designed to try to sell you more options. I've been happy with Avis preferred and in most places I can get into my car very quickly.

Enterprise also has sloooow dropoff
by sprack  (2019-04-22 13:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They always have to inspect the car and make you wait while they do. This is fine at a local office, but a pain when you're at an airport.

Never experienced that
by Brandon  (2019-04-22 14:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But getting into a car was dumb - having someone in a suit walk you out, walk around the vehicle with you, pretend to care why you're in town, ticking thru all the upgrades and protections. Just give me the damn car and stop asking me how my experience was!

Yep, they did that too *
by sprack  (2019-04-22 14:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Avis Preferred is free
by sprack  (2019-04-22 11:53:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure why everyone isn't either Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold Plus, or in the National Emerald Club. And unlike airlines, you get the same benefits as everyone else upon joining. There are no "elite" levels.

Nobody but business travelers book directly through
by Tex Francisco  (2019-04-22 11:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the rental car companies. Everyone uses Hotwire, Expedia, Costco, etc., where you don't get to pick your company.

you mean, everyone but sophisticated travelers? *
by ACross  (2019-04-22 21:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have booked through Costco and we can see
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-22 13:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who we are going with before pulling the trigger.

You can also attach your rental program info
by Brandon  (2019-04-22 14:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you're Avis or Enterprise etc they allow for you to attach your info so you get credit as a member of that particular company. I often look at Costco at least to compare.

funny but for whatever reason
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 12:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never book with a Costco, Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz. I use them all for price aggregation but always book direct from the source.

Hate buying trips through packages.

Exactly. I use them for comparison shopping only
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:09:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are sometimes wild price differences on rental cars in the same city at the same time, so it's always worth looking, but I get the price and then I book at the source.

That has bupkes to with being in the programs
by sprack  (2019-04-22 11:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You give them your membership number, and you get all the benefits.

Also, booking through the services doesn't get you discounts that you can't get directly from the rental companies.

Sure, but if you rent a car once or twice per year, and
by Tex Francisco  (2019-04-22 12:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those rentals are spread across 5 or 6 different companies, then most people don't see any benefit from membership because they will never accumulate enough rewards to get any free rentals. I'm guessing most people either aren't aware of or forget about the ancillary benefits.

You really stumble through life thinking that your I Phone
by ACross  (2019-04-22 21:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has all the answers.

Well then they must like waiting in line
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:05:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because filling out the application takes shorter than waiting in line for a single rental, and you have it for life.

Free rentals aren't the point. Saving time is. Cripes, Hertz had ads on it 30 years ago. You know, O.J. running through the airport to rent his white Ford Bronco from Hertz?

If you're Hertz Gold Plus, you can typically skip the line
by manofdillon  (2019-04-22 11:40:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

altogether and go straight to your car (although that's not always the case at some smaller locations).

Exactly. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-04-22 14:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hertz is great though you do pay a premium
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 11:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no line waiting, go to car they've assigned you. Don't like it? Pick any car in the aisle/class that you've reserved.

Drive you to booth exit with CC and DL.

Again, you pay a premium for Hertz which many people scoff at. But I love the ease and out of the rental line that never moves.

There is no premium. Hertz Gold Plus is free *
by sprack  (2019-04-22 11:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, Hertz Gold is free.
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 12:02:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just meant you pay a premium on Hertz versus other rental companies' rates, by and large.

Not necessarily. I've gotten some great deals from Hertz
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:10:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if you're in AAA, you get a nice discount.

Also, it's worth it internationally. Their service is top notch. I've had five flat tires in my life, but one time was in the Connor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland (maybe the worst place in the country to get a flat tire) and another was in the Scottish Highlands. I also left a package in a car in France. Great service in all three instances, and great cars, too.

And in all three of those instances, their prices were as good or better than anyone's. At other times, it hasn't been or they didn't have the car I wanted so I went with someone else, but usually they do. And in point of fact, on business domestically, I usually book with Avis, not Hertz, so it's not like I have a crazy Hertz bias, but their prices really aren't much different.

Ha. Gotta love the internet
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 13:35:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You sound like you're disagreeing with me yet I agree with everything you posted.

C'est la vie in 2019.

I do think that was definitely true at one time with Hertz
by sprack  (2019-04-22 13:51:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But not for quite a while compared to Avis and National, at least. You can still get cheaper cars offsite, but you pay for it in convenience. I do think Hertz is still the most consistently good from place to place domestically, but Avis has just about caught up and I get upgraded automatically with them more often so that's who I look at first. But if the price for a particular rental on Avis is higher than usual (and week to week it an vary greatly in some markets), I then look to Hertz and as often as not it's cheaper.