Explain contractor pricing to me
by Bigclumber (2019-04-22 15:14:33)

Last week, my wife went to a handful of tile & stone warehouses looking for a quartzite slab for our new island.

After a couple days of frustration, she found a slab that she loved and I went with her over the weekend to see for myself and place a hold on it. The price was $2,250.

During conversations with the sales guy, I asked if they offered contractor pricing, he said they did, and so we agreed to have my contractor reach out Monday morning to finalize the transaction. Best case, I was hoping they might knock a few hundred bucks off the deal.

We just get a call from the contractor and his price on the slab was $1,800. Needless to say, we had him finalize the order asap.

I get wanting to give a discount to someone that might favor you with repeat business over time, but this struck me as curious. This was not a commoditized item. We were going to buy it, even without a discount, so 20% off was gravy for us, but a loss of revenue to the store.

Is it just one of those things, where the computer spits out a price and that's what they go with?

Replies: