That's pretty much all grunge bands from that time.
by rockmcd (2019-05-09 17:28:48)

In reply to: I can only speak to their hit songs  posted by gozer

Hair metal bands sure looked like they were having fun. I think the early 90's grunge scene was kind of a reaction to that. PJ, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden... all those bands had zero interest in writing catchy songs about partying, sex, and love.

That said, I think Pearl Jam concerts look like a lot of fun. I've only been to one PJ concert (Golden Gate Park in 1995), and it was fun as hell for about the first 25 or 30 minutes until Eddie Vedder started puking his guts out from stomach flu. Then Neil Young took over and bored us to death. I also saw them play a short acoustic set at a benefit concert on Halloween 1999. The 2 guitar players wore ridiculous halloween costumes, and Vedder had a lot of fun engaging with and serenading the handicapped kids who were sitting behind the stage.

I disagree in principle with the notion that it isn't fun to play or listen to music that's dark and/or (pseudo) intellectual. I don't think your example of Rammstein is weird at all.