This is pretty cool. (link)
by Kayo (2019-05-19 13:19:03)

Scott’s tots was first *
by DBCooper  (2019-05-19 19:18:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2,000 undergrad degrees x $100,000 assist = $200 Million.
by Ndwineaux  (2019-05-19 19:10:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or 1.7% of a $12 Billion endowment.

Some of the incoming Class of 2023 are potentially looking at a $300K burden.

I know the endowment is used for University operations. I just wish there was a middle ground somewhere.

It seems ridiculous to this CMU educated melon.

Maybe every school should stop building and help students *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-19 17:02:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very cool *
by drmurray  (2019-05-19 16:09:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is pretty cool. Class of 2019 is very lucky.
by TWO  (2019-05-19 16:07:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder what the mechanics of this gift will be, probably will be fairly complicated to since some of them may have debts that are not strictly related to cost of attendance/tuition. Also how to make sure the gift does in fact go to pay off student loans and not a car loan.

Still really tremendous gift by him.

I’m conflicted.
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-19 13:55:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being generous and doing kindnesses is a good thing. Kids graduating from college is a good thing.

Then I think about people that have $40 Million to give away and it’s .04 of their liquid wealth (Smith is referred to as a “billionnaire”).

Then I think about kids signing up for student loans with no business plan of how to pay them, holding a thought somewhere in the back of their minds that someone else will take care of the debt for them.

Anyway, those kids had the best collective college graduation in history. I can’t imagine the feeling in that auditorium.

Thats awesome *
by SEE  (2019-05-19 13:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Margaret O’Brien Steinfels did not pay off my student loans *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-05-19 13:29:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post