In Newport RI for a few days. Looking for somewhere to take
by SEE (2019-06-16 15:05:15)

Our 2 year old for a week outside of Newport.

Any suggestions?

Drive across the Pell bridge from newport...
by 105Marquette  (2019-06-16 16:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to Johnstown and then the Verrazano bridge to the mainland. Head south on Rte. 1 to Narragansett. Let the little one play in the water off Point Judith and then head to Iggy's for clam cakes and chowder.

Was just there this weekend.
by Wooderson  (2019-06-16 21:30:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stayed at The Break in Point Judith, easy walk to Wheeler beach or a quick drive to Scarborough, which is an awesome beach.

Aunt Carrie's and Iggy's are right next to each other, so there's lots of options for beach food, as well as the rooftop lounge and restaurant at tHe Break which has great views.

Lots of space for the kids to play on the beach.

For a full week though, you may need to branch out more, maybe go to Roger Williams Zoo in PVD, and hit some dining up there.

I dig Benny's Clam Shack in Wakefield
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-06-17 09:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And visit Fort Weatherall State Park in Jamestown. Really cool views.

I spent my childhood playing around Ft. Wetherill.
by Wooderson  (2019-06-17 15:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was quite the playground, with all the old fortifications. My mom grew up there, and I'd spend a large chunk of the summer at my grandparents' house down towards Beavertail. Good times.

Can also take ferry to Block Island
by Shifty  (2019-06-16 16:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is always a fun day trip. In fact, G7 and I will head there this Friday for a look around.

Dead Eye Dick's or Block Island Oyster House . . . *
by other_guy  (2019-06-16 17:46:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Westerly RI
by bbill99  (2019-06-16 15:46:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great beaches and walkable 3 blocks or so of shops, restaurants, and a carousel

Love eating at Two Little Fish
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-06-17 09:22:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best fried whole clam bellies in South County.

Birthplace of Ruth Buzzi
by Magnitude  (2019-06-16 16:36:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A guy in my section of the dorm freshman year threw that nugget out randomly, and for some reason that's a piece of information ingrained in my brain. I remember that tidbit way better than a lot of other stuff I should know and remember.

Seconded. Weekapaug Inn or Ocean House. Both are great.
by IrishNYCA  (2019-06-16 16:07:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with lots of activities.