I was at a White Sox game with my wife
by sprack (2019-06-17 10:46:52)
Edited on 2019-06-17 10:47:20

In reply to: 25 years ago today, the Juice went for a car ride  posted by DBCooper

We were about 3 rows below a sky box that had the low speed chase on TV. Everyone was turned around watching the TV rather than the game.

I was blissfully unaware at a cottage with no television. *
by grnd  (2019-06-17 12:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the time, our Sox were looking very good that year.
by drunkenmick  (2019-06-17 10:59:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then the strike and the season was call off with the good guys in first place.

That was a very tough season. Was attending a summer class
by Hati Hijau  (2019-06-17 20:35:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at UW-Madison, and the strike was devastating. I listened to the radio broadcasts, and knew it would be our year. What can I say about "The Big Hurt," that hasn't already been said? He is one of my all time favorite players. He did it clean. Three summers later, family attended a game at the still "New" Comiskey Park to celebrate my M.A. Frank hit one out to dead center. It was the best gift evah. Sox won! Sox won! Sox won!

Many times and many years before on family visits to the "Old" Comiskey Park, such was not the case. We would go in regularly for double headers. I recall the team winning both games a grand total of once. Saw some of the Sox greats hit them out in the "Old Comiskey," though. It was all good.

It took 11 years and 2 months for me to get over that
by sprack  (2019-06-17 11:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved that team, my second favorite Sox team ever. It was just about the same team as the year before, but with the great addition of Julio Franco.

Frank had possibly his best season going, and did win the MVP. He had an absolutely insane 1.217 OPS.

Not so bad a wait. We did get one in before the cubbies!
by Hati Hijau  (2019-06-17 20:47:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit to add: The only thing that can compare is any game the Sox beat the cubbies or when the Cardinals beat the cubbies.

Lifetime: 1 visit to 1600 W. Addison to see Lou Brock play in his final season. Cards lost, but I got to see Lou play! Best deal the cubbies ever made.

Joey and his corked bat were about to overtake the Sox *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-06-17 11:17:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know as well as I do that
by sprack  (2019-06-17 11:19:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Curse of Rocky Colavito hadn't run its course yet. The Tribe was doomed.

Come to think of it, it still hasn't.

Speaking of Joey, it still pisses me off that he has the Sox all-time home run record. If not for the strike, Frank could have hit 50. He had 38 when the strike hit, with a month and half left in the season.

I was actually at the last game before the strike
by dwjm3  (2019-06-17 11:03:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe it was against the Seattle Mariners.

Sprack, that “White Sox game with wife” alibi won’t work
by Frank Drebin  (2019-06-17 10:55:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one in their right mind would ever consider taking their wife to a White Sox game. You’re as guilty as OJ unless you can come up with some better excuse as to your whereabouts that evening.

I'll have you know my wife is from the South Side
by sprack  (2019-06-17 11:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and has never been in Wrigley Field.

She also doesn't know the first thing about baseball, but that's beside the point.

Ok for now Just don’t get cute and leave town any time soon
by Frank Drebin  (2019-06-17 12:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We still have a few remaining questions regarding that blood stain leather glove on your couch and what exactly was your personal relationship with Kato Kalyan