If you think you're sick, go to the doctor.
by LondonDomer (2019-06-17 19:48:52)

As I've posted about, my mom passed away a few weeks back -- May 21st, to be exact. Mom hated doctors. Always had. She struggled with her weight and found the doc embarrassing. She had also had blood clotting issues due to a blood disorder and had some very bad experiences. She did *not* like going to see the doctor.

So for months, she had been having stomach pain. She brushed it aside. She ignored us asking if she would go in and see someone. "It's just indigestion," she would say. "I ate something weird."

The pain would come and go. It wasn't constant. So she didn't go.

We just got the results back from the pathology report from when they removed a section of her intestine where it had ruptured. Our suspicion was some kind of cancer, which caused a blockage of her intestine, which ruptured and ultimately caused her death.

We were wrong.

Diverticulitis. Left untreated. Which lead to ulcers, which led to abscesses, which led to sepsis, which led to peritonitis, which lead to necrosis of her intestines, and ultimately, led to her death.

Diverticulitis is very treatable. It can be dealt with at home with antibiotic pills if it's found before it gets too advanced -- like months ago when she initially complained of stomach pain. Even if it's advanced, it's quite treatable.

Go to the fucking doctor. Don't be proud. Don't be stupid. The doctor doesn't give a shit if you're overweight. Go.

Replies: