Dude, your kid is 8!!!
by petrond (2019-06-18 10:12:35)

In reply to: I think you are probably right on several fronts.  posted by Steelhop

Listen to some other folks on this board that have been through this with kids at much older ages. He's 8!!! With 2 girls of my own in travel soccer for years, no one really cares about your kid until you hit u12/u13 anyway. Let your son enjoy playing with friends if he can and develop as a soccer player if he likes the sport. It doesn't matter what level team he is on at 8, believe me.

This is correct response
by Sonofadomer  (2019-06-18 11:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also have a 2010 boy, 2 2008 girls, and a 2004 boy. All play travel soccer with the oldest in the highest level in our area. We see the 2010 parents traveling 1.5 hrs one way during the summer so their 8-9 year old can play on an area all-star summer team.

Super Y? *
by grnd  (2019-06-18 11:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The parents don't think their kids need a break from soccer
by Sonofadomer  (2019-06-18 12:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so they spend the summer months traveling to Charlotte, NC 2 times a week for practice and have been in summer tournaments. We watched their championship game this past weekend because our oldest was in the tourney. The all-star boys soccer is no better than what we saw this past year - they played a team that traveled from Boston to Charlotte for a U9 soccer tournament. That is another level of crazy. Our youngest son and girls are taking the summer off from playing in tournaments. They are doing several camps (1 soccer camp) and spending time at the pool. I'm an guessing they will be in better spot than the kids that played all summer long come fall season.