I know it's hard, but try to find some perspective.
by grnd (2019-06-18 10:29:05)

In reply to: How does a kid make his county travel soccer team but decide  posted by Steelhop

I say this as a father whose son has played soccer year-round for 11 years across all different levels (1.5 years in rec, 1.5 years in AYSO, eight years in club).

Evaluations at your son's young age are largely meaningless. As a result, those evaluations can seem -- and may be -- arbitrary and unfair. The chance of that outcome only increases if you have volunteer coaches or coaches who have kids playing on the team.

As unfun as that is at the moment, it certainly doesn't have to have lasting effects. It certainly doesn't affect what will happen in the future. It's not like he's been put on a track he can't leave.

The only question I would be asking myself if I were you (and the only question your son should be asking himself) is whether he enjoys playing soccer. If he does, keep playing. The team at that age really doesn't matter. The league doesn't matter. The competition doesn't matter much either. Playing only in the spring or fall is fine. What matters is that he's having fun playing a game he enjoys. If he is, keep playing.

There may be a time down the road to worry about teams and leagues. You've got years before you get there.

Replies: