Anyone familiar or own a Tommaso bicycle?
by bengalbout (2019-06-21 11:16:28)

I want to start doing longer rides and don't want to spend too much. Tried a Trek Domane Al 2 but didn't like the fit. No Giant retailers anywhere close.
The Tommaso Imola looks like a good fit and is in the budget range.

any relation to Rolo Tomassi? *
by dillonhall  (2019-06-21 23:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes and they're overpriced for what you get. I will
by Em_525 (click here to email the poster)  (2019-06-21 22:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

personally walk you through the purchase of a bike if needed. I've built my own bikes for close to two decades, there are tons of options depending on your budget. Email me if you'd like assistance.

I agree with Dutch here, both on the Tommaso and
by steez_nutz  (2019-06-21 15:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that you should also check craigslist & ebay for used options. The one thing I'll add is that aluminum frames can have a harsh ride. Steel frames, while typically a little heavier are more durable and offer a more comfortable ride (especially at longer distances). The "aluminum is uncomfortable" thing is somewhat mitigated by the trend toward wider tires and tubeless wheelsets, though. One last thing, investigate options built around smaller wheels 26 inch and/or 650B. The historic standard for mountain bikes was 26-inch wheels, while road bikes are 700c (roughly 29 inches). The 650B is pretty much right in the middle, and is known as 27.5 on mountain bikes (which now come in 26, 27.5, and 29).

Tomassi?
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-06-21 13:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rolo Tomassi?

I have no first hand experience.
by Dutch  (2019-06-21 12:21:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, I think that a lot of bike manufacturers use the same frame builders in Asia, so what really differentiates most budget bikes are the components, espically the wheelset and groupset. It looks like that bike comes with an entry level Shimano groupset, which is reviewed at the link below. Bottom line looks like the groupset is okay, but if you get serious about biking you would probably want to upgrade. It looks like they use a private label wheelset, which are probably not very good, but again probably good enough for leisurely rides.

If you are open to buying used, I would encourage you to look on Craigslist to see what's available in your area and having the bike inspected by a local bike shop before buying used. I think you could get a lot more bang for your buck this way, even if you need to spend a hundred or two on a tune up plus a new chain and cassette.

Problem with Craigslist is size. I'm a Leprechaun.
by bengalbout  (2019-06-21 12:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not much on Craigslist for leprechauns. Even in women's bikes. The local bike shops have a limited stock to even try for size. I got measured, and the Tommaso seems to fit pretty well.

I generally only ride about 10- 15 miles a day, but want to start doing dome longer rides on the weekends.