Is there a Family Law Attorney in the house?
by RochesterDomer (2019-06-21 13:12:53)

Very long story sorta short- former neighbors had two awesome kids, B15 and B17. Family issues, they moved, more family issues- B17 came to live with us. We love him, love having him with us, he just turned 18, school worked with us- we left the legal system out of it and all is good.

B15 just turned 16, and recent issues at home- he just came to live with us. Having a kid with two years left in high school vs. two months is a big difference, and we realize there may be a need for some legal or social agency to be involved.

Biological mother is out of the state and, mostly, out of the picture. Biological father has some issues. He doesn't want them, but we don't want to rock the boat. That is, we're sort of afraid of CPS being involved- i mean, you can't change the locks on your 16 year old- and him end up not being with us. On the other hand, doctor's visits, insurance, schools...whatever...you can't just have a kid and not have some legal authority.

We've been in touch with the school and we'll see how that goes, they've been great. But I think we need an attorney. Rochester, NY- anyone know anyone good?

Joe '99

I'm not but as a school attorney I'd raise this ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-06-21 13:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if NY has a "caregiver affidavit" setup. In Massachusetts that gives you authority to make education decisions, get health info, etc. I think you're running some significant risks here otherwise.