Need a new credit card
by motownmike (2019-06-21 15:49:12)

I currently have a Marriott Credit Card and hit lifetime platinum status. Recently started a company with 2 other partners and will be doing my fair share of flying/hotel stays.

What is the best business card out there? I live in Chicago and was thinking of Southwest or United as I will use them primarily. I know other cards might be better for cash back but I would prefer free flights/hotels and vacation deals.

Thanks in advance.

Late to the game, but Chase Sapphire Reserve and Ink Prefer
by OrangeJubilee  (2019-06-24 09:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great Combo for personal and business. The Sapphire Reserve is superior to the Preferred, and the travel rebate is automatic $300 on anything, much better than the AMEX travel credits which are tied to in-flight fees on a specific airline.

The Sapphire and Ink Preferred will net you 130K points for sign up bonuses, which is conservatively worth $1,950 (most would say $2,700). And they have great earnings across all types of travel.

Also don't read Doctor of Credit for recommendations, he's just shills what is paying him the most, but does have some good data (mostly picked from other sites.)

United and Southwest Scenarios
by rflor  (2019-06-24 08:39:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you plan to fly a lot of United, the Chase United Club card has some decent perks:

A. United Club membership bundled into annual fee (more valuable now that they increased the standalone membership fee)

B. 1.5 miles on all purchases, 2 miles on United

C. free checked bags (matters less if you're United elite).

D. Primary rental car coverage, elite status into both Hyatt and Hertz

Alternatively, Chase just announced a killer sign-up bonus for their new Southwest Business card -- 80,000 miles:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-adds-premium-business-card/

Chase Sapphire Preferred
by jerseyshoreirish  (2019-06-23 21:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Provides primary coverage for collision for car rental. Translation: they don't hit your auto collision coverage. They pay first dollar.

Platinum
by NDFlyerMS  (2019-06-22 07:43:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amex Platinum worth a look. It’s ideal for business travelers. Hefty annual fee but value is there if used correctly: 5x points when book online, $200 airline credit each year, $100 TSA/Global Entry credit, Premium Lounge access, Property credits and third night free opportunities at select hotels, $15 Uber credit per month.

If you sign up at good time (e.g - 50k points bonus after spending first $3,000) the first year more than pays for itself.

I just decided to go with Gold.
by tdiddy07  (2019-06-24 09:52:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't think I'd get the value out of it to make up for the fee, as I don't frequently check bags to cash in on the airline credit, so the $100 Gold credit will probably be closer to being useful, and I don't care about lounges. I also haven't had the need for Global Entry yet, although when that changes, I might consider it.

And when I analyzed my spending patterns, I typically would get more bonus points from the Gold. Although if I start traveling more for work, that could change.

Never signup for the Platinum with only a 50K
by MDDomer  (2019-06-22 11:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

points offer. Plenty of opportunities for the coveted 100k offer for the personal and 75k for business.

I've had a great experience with AMEX Platinum
by ndsapper  (2019-06-22 08:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though...since I'm military they waive the annual fee which makes things so much better.

-- 200 airline credit
-- Priority Pass for access to lounges or $32 off your check at participating bars/restaurants
-- Great rewards program
-- Hilton Gold off the start
-- Global entry fee reimbursement

just to name a few.

Other underrated benefit of Amex Platinum - customer service
by Queensman  (2019-06-24 11:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The personalized customer service they provide is fantastic. When you call them from your phone, you actually get person on the line quickly...who already knows who you are when you call.

I once had my wallet stolen. I called them around 6:30pm to notify them. I had a FedEx'd replacement in my hand by 10:30 the next morning.

And if you travel a lot, access to the Priority Pass or Centurion Lounges are worht the price for the card itself.

Fee Waiver turns it into an incredible deal
by rflor  (2019-06-24 08:34:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for AmEx to do that for military, as the card was very good even with the fee.

Priority pass / restaurant access ends 1 August
by irishnc92  (2019-06-22 10:02:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a restaurant in the STL airport, but I have yet to use it - the idea of getting to the airport just to eat appalls me.

I have access through the Amex Bonvoy Brillant card which makes financial sense for me for staying at hotels in the Phoenix area throughout the year. (I use the free stay nights in the Spring)

Look at the Chase Sapphire cards.
by Killian  (2019-06-21 23:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Double points on travel and dining and you can transfer to partners. The Reserve gives 300 in travel credit and has some other nice perks as well

Marriott and United are partners
by knutesteen  (2019-06-21 21:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I received an e-mail to that effect, so look into perhaps the Chase United card or some combination of the two to maximize your affinity benefits.

IIRC, Htown knows a guy *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-06-21 19:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Pakistanis from the Bing? *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-06-21 20:40:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post